How do I get started with Apple ID?
Your Apple ID is the personal account you use to access Apple services like the App Store, iTunes Store, iCloud, iMessage, the Apple Online Store, FaceTime, and more. Use the same Apple ID everywhere you sign in to make sure that all your Apple services and devices work together seamlessly and you can access your personal content from all your devices.
How do I get an Apple ID?
If you've used the iTunes Store, iCloud, or any Apple service, you might already have an Apple ID. If you don't remember it, use these steps to find your Apple ID, or use the steps below to see if you're signed in.
If you don't have an Apple ID, you can create one now.
How do I sign in?
Any time you set up a new device or access an Apple service, you'll be asked to sign in with your Apple ID and password. After you sign in, you'll gain access to the service and all the personal information in your account. Services that use Apple ID include iCloud, iTunes, iBooks, the App Store, FaceTime, Messages, Game Center, iCloud.com, and more.
You can also use the steps below to sign in on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. You can also sign in to iCloud for Windows, your Apple TV, and your Time Capsule or Airport Base Station.
iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Tap Settings > iCloud
- Tap Settings > iTunes & App Store
- Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Tap Settings > FaceTime
- Tap Settings > Messages > Send & Receive
Use these steps to sign in with a different Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Select Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud
- Open iTunes, then select Store > Sign In
- Open Mail, then select Mail > Preferences > Accounts
- Open Calendar, then select Calendar > Preferences > Accounts
- Open FaceTime, then select FaceTime > Preferences > Settings
- Open Messages, then select Messages > Preferences > Accounts
Try these steps if you can't sign in.
Can I update or change my Apple ID?
To manage your Apple ID, just sign in to My Apple ID at any time:
- Change your Apple ID email address to make sure it's one you use frequently.
- Change your password or security questions.
- Add a rescue email address to help you reset your security questions if you ever forget them.
- Add alternate email addresses to make it easier for others to communicate and share with you.
- Use the iTunes Store to update your billing information or check your purchase history.
How do I verify my Apple ID email address?
When you create a new Apple ID or make certain changes to your account, we’ll send you an email to help you complete the update. This helps protect your identity and ensures you can receive important account notifications from Apple, such as password reset emails. Several Apple services, such as iCloud, iTunes, iMessage, and FaceTime, require you to use a verified email address as your Apple ID.
To verify your email address, click the Verify Now link in the verification email. Sign in with your Apple ID and password, then click Verify Address. Use these steps if you didn't get the email. You might be asked to verify your email using a 6-digit code.
How can I increase the security of my account?
Security and privacy are very important to Apple and we provide a number of ways to secure your Apple ID and protect your privacy. Here are some things you can do to make sure your account remains private and secure:
- Review the best practices in Security and your Apple ID.
- Set up two-step verification to add an extra layer of security to your account.
- Learn more about Apple ID and security.
For more information or help, visit Apple Support.
Can I share my Apple ID with someone else?
You shouldn't share your Apple ID with anyone else. It provides access to personal information including contacts, photos, device backups, and more. Sharing your Apple ID with someone else means you're giving them access to all your personal content, and it may lead to confusion about who actually owns the account.
To share photos, a calendar, iTunes purchases and more with someone else, try these sharing features.
Can I get help with my Apple ID?
See if your question is listed below, or go to Apple ID support for more help.
What if I can't sign in?
If you can't sign in, check your Apple ID to make sure that you're signing in with the correct Apple ID. Then try the steps below:
- Reset your Apple ID password if you forgot it.
- Get help signing in with two-step verification.
- Regain access to your account if your Apple ID was locked.
- Get help if you’re asked for the password to your previous Apple ID.
If you're repeatedly asked to sign in to a service, sign out, then sign back in.
Why can't I change my Apple ID email address?
You might not be able to change your email address for one of these reasons:
- The email address you chose is already in use as an Apple ID. All email addresses that end in @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com are already Apple IDs.
- You're already using an @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com email address as your Apple ID. In this case, the Apple ID can't be changed to another email address.
Can I merge multiple Apple IDs into one?
Apple IDs can't be merged. We recommend that you use the same Apple ID in the iTunes Store and iCloud. Using multiple Apple IDs might be confusing and might cause issues with accessing purchased content or using some services.
If you need more than one Apple ID, you can still access your purchased items (such as music, movies, or software) using your other Apple IDs. Learn how to use multiple Apple IDs with iTunes and iCloud.
If I purchased music, apps, or books with multiple Apple IDs, how do I move my content onto my iOS device?
Then authorize your computer to play content with each Apple ID in iTunes. After your computer is authorized for all of your content, you can sync it to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
What if I can't access the email address that I used for my Apple ID?
It's important to keep your Apple ID information up to date. If you no longer have access to the email address you currently use for your Apple ID, simply change it to your current, working email address. This will allow you to continue using your account and will ensure you can receive important account-related emails, reset your password, and more.
You can change your Apple ID to any other email address you control, as long as it's not already in use as an Apple ID.