Smart Covers are designed to work with specific iPad models. A magnetic hinge aligns the Smart Cover with the iPad to secure the connection. Magnets on the side opposite of the hinge work with the magnets in the iPad, which allows you to wake your iPad when you open the cover and put it in sleep mode when you close it.
To ensure these features work correctly, make sure that you buy the Smart Cover that's designed for your iPad. Check the label on the Smart Cover to see if it's compatible with your iPad.
Some Smart Covers and iPads aren’t compatible, even if they're the same size. If you get a new iPad, the dimensions and certain features—such as the Smart Connector— might be different, meaning you might also need to get a new Smart Cover. The following iPads and Smart Covers need to be used together:
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch) requires Smart Cover for 12.9-inch iPad Pro*
- iPad Pro (9.7-inch) requires Smart Cover for 9.7-inch iPad Pro*
- iPad Air and iPad Air 2 require iPad Air Smart Cover
- iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation), and iPad (4th generation) require iPad Smart Cover
- iPad mini 4 requires iPad mini 4 Smart Cover*
- iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, and iPad mini can use an iPad mini Smart Cover designed for any of these models
*The Smart Covers for iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch), and iPad mini 4 are designed to work with the Silicone Case at the same time. If you use the Smart Cover by itself, you might notice that the cover slightly hangs over the edge of the iPad.
When you use a Smart Cover, always pick up your iPad directly—don't try to pick it up by the cover. The magnets aren't designed to lift the iPad.