iCloud Keychain remembers things, so that you don't have to. It auto-fills your information—like your Safari usernames and passwords, credit cards, Wi-Fi passwords, and social log-ins—on any device that you approve. You can also find your saved passwords with iCloud Keychain. Have more questions about iCloud Keychain?
How to turn on iCloud Keychain
Turn on iCloud Keychain on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Tap Settings, tap [your name], then choose iCloud.
- Tap Keychain.*
- Slide to turn on iCloud Keychain. You might be asked for your passcode or Apple ID password.
Turn on iCloud Keychain on your Mac
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
- In macOS Catalina, click Apple ID, then click iCloud in the sidebar. In macOS Mojave or earlier, click iCloud.
- Select Keychain.*
- If you choose to "Approve Later" when signing into your Apple ID, you need to approve with an old passcode or from another device when prompted. If you are unable to approve, reset your end-to-end encrypted data when prompted.
*On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 13, or on your Mac with macOS Catalina, two-factor authentication is required to turn on iCloud Keychain. If you haven't set it up yet, you are prompted to update to two-factor authentication.
If you can't turn on iCloud Keychain
If you're not using two-factor authentication, you might be prompted to create an iCloud Security Code—six digits, complex alphanumerics, or randomly generated—to authorize additional devices and verify your identity. If you forgot your code, you might be able to reset it.
How to find passwords stored in iCloud Keychain
How to find saved passwords on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Tap Settings, then select Passwords & Accounts.
- Tap Website & App Passwords or App.
- Use FaceID or Touch ID when prompted.
- To see a password, tap a website.
You can also manually add or remove passwords from iCloud Keychain. To manually add a password, tap the add button , then enter the website and password information. To delete a password, tap Edit. Then select a website and tap Delete.
How to find saved passwords on your Mac
- Open Safari. From the Safari menu, choose Preferences, then click Passwords.
- Enter your user account password.
- To see a password, select a website.
You can also add or remove passwords from iCloud Keychain. To change a password, select a website, click Details, change the password, then click Done.
Frequently asked questions
Get answers to some of the most common questions about iCloud Keychain.
What information does iCloud Keychain store?
iCloud Keychain stores credit card numbers and expiration dates—without storing or autofilling the security code—and passwords and usernames, Wi-Fi passwords, Internet accounts, and more. Developers can also update their apps to use keychain, if the app is on a device that uses iOS 7.0.3 or later, or OS X Mavericks 10.9 and later. If you don't see items stored in iCloud Keychain, learn what to do.
How does iCloud Keychain protect my information?
iCloud protects your information with end-to-end encryption, which provides the highest level of data security. Your data is protected with a key that's made from information unique to your device, and combined with your device passcode, which only you know. No one else can access or read this data, either in transit or storage. Learn more.
What happens when I turn off iCloud Keychain on a device?
When you turn off iCloud Keychain for a device, you're asked to keep or delete the passwords and credit card information that you saved. If you choose to keep the information, it isn't deleted or updated when you make changes on other devices. If you don't choose to keep the information on at least one device, your Keychain data will be deleted from your device and the iCloud servers.
Can Apple recover my iCloud Security Code?
No. If you enter your iCloud Security Code incorrectly too many times, you can't use that iCloud Keychain. You can contact Apple Support to verify your identity and try again. After several incorrect attempts, your keychain is removed from Apple's servers, and you need to set it up again.