Update your device to iOS 8.3 or later
Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the latest iOS.
Restore your tones using iTunes
If your tones appear in the Tones view of your iTunes library on your Mac or PC, you can sync them back to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes, then follow the steps below.
- Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer.
- Locate and click on your device.
- In the left-hand sidebar, under Settings, click Tones.
- Make sure that the box next to Sync Tones is checked.
- Click Sync to sync your tones back to your device.
Repeat these steps on each of your affected devices.
Restore your tones from the iTunes Store
If you purchased your tones on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and never synced them to your computer, you might be eligible to restore your tones directly to your device from the iTunes Store using the steps below.
If your device already contains previously purchased tones that you synced or restored to your device from iTunes on your Mac or PC, turn off Sync Tones in iTunes before completing the steps below. Otherwise, you might download duplicate tones to your device.
- Open Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Go to itunes.com/restore-tones.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Tap Restore. If your device is eligible, you'll see a message that reads: "This may take a while. You can continue to use this device while we prepare your tones. You will be sent a push notification when they are ready to download."
If you see, "Your tones were not affected," your tones won't be restored to your current device. You can try the website from your other devices.
- Tap Done.
- When you receive the notification on your device, tap Download, or, if you receive the notification on your lock screen, swipe to download.* All of your tones will download, including any that are explicit.
- Check to make sure that your tones are now on your device:
Ringtones: Tap Settings > Sounds > Ringtone.
Alert tones: Tap Settings > Sounds > Text Tone (or any other alert listed).
If you assigned purchased tones to your contacts, these will also be restored.
If you purchased tones with more than one Apple ID, follow the steps above signing in with each Apple ID at step 3.
You can repeat these steps on your other iOS devices, if needed.
*If you tap cancel on the notification or don't receive it, you can start the download of your tones by force quitting the iTunes Store app and relaunching it.
If you need more help, contact iTunes support.
Data fees might apply if you download content over cellular networks. Contact your wireless carrier for details.
Remember to back up your iOS device regularly.