Open an older iWork document
Current versions of iWork for Mac apps can open documents created in any version of iWork. To open an older iWork document in Pages, Numbers, or Keynote, double-click the document, or open it from within the app:
- Choose File > Open.
- Select the document.
- Click Open.
If you see a Warnings window
When you open an older iWork document, you might see a Warnings window. This window displays a list of features in your document that are supported in the older version of the app, but aren't available in newer versions of iWork for Mac.
See "Changes that happen when upgrading an iWork document" for a list of possible changes.
Save an older iWork document
The first time you save or edit an older iWork document, you need to confirm how you want iWork to handle the updated document:
- Click Upgrade to convert the existing document to the new format.
- Click Cancel to cancel the save or edit, leaving your original document unchanged.
- Click "Edit a Copy" to convert a copy of the document to the new format and preserve the original in the older iWork format.
Revert an upgraded document
If you've already upgraded your document to the new iWork file format and want to change your document back to a version compatible with earlier iWork apps, use one of these options:
Revert to a previous version
- Choose File > Revert To. This removes any changes you made and restores the version of your document that was saved in an earlier version of iWork.
Save a copy in iWork '09 format
- If you edited the document and want to preserve the edits, you can save the file as an iWork ’09 document. Choose File > Export To. Then, choose Pages ’09, Numbers ’09, or Keynote ’09 as the file format. See changes that occur when exporting to iWork ’09 for information on possible changes to the document.
Changes that happen when you upgrade an iWork document
- Rotation is removed from tables and charts.
- Table fills are removed.
- Grouped wedges in pie charts are ungrouped.
- Spotlight metadata is removed.
- Change tracking is only supported for body text. Other tracked changes are accepted as final.
- Links to other Pages files are removed.
- Table categories are removed.
- The "Require password to exit show" setting is removed. To set a new password, choose Keynote > Preferences > Slideshow, then select "Require password to exit slideshows." Enter a password when prompted, then click Set Password. This password applies to all presentations played on this computer.
- Slides indented more than six levels are promoted to level six.
- Links to other Keynote files are removed.
- Rotation is removed from object placeholders.
- Transitions that aren't available in Keynote for Mac are converted to Dissolve.
- The Revolve transition is renamed Object Flip.
- Convergence builds are converted to Dissolve.
- Builds are removed from master slides and chart legends.
- Smart builds are converted to image galleries.
Changes that happen when you export to iWork ’09
- Curved shadows and contact shadows are converted to drop shadows.
- Comments on objects are removed.
- Anchored objects are converted to floating or inline objects.
- Formulas that aren't available in iWork ’09 are removed. The last calculated values are exported.
- Interactive charts are converted to regular charts.
- Bubble charts are converted to scatter charts.
- Donut charts are converted to pie charts.
- Drawings are converted to groups of lines and shapes.
- Image galleries are removed. One image from each gallery is exported.
- Right-to-left tables (like Arabic and Hebrew) aren't supported.
- Vertical text (like Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) isn’t fully supported in iWork ’09.
- Replies are removed from threaded comments.
- Tables of contents are converted to plain text. They don't update automatically in Pages ’09.
- Right-to-left text (like Arabic and Hebrew) isn’t fully supported in Pages ’09.
- Equations authored in Pages are converted to images when you export to Pages ‘09.
- Annotations are removed.
- If a document contains "OR" filters within a column and "AND" filters across columns, all filter rules are exported; "AND" filters are converted to "OR".
- Duration-based filters and conditional highlights are removed.
- Right-to-left sheets (like Arabic and Hebrew) aren't supported.
- Transitions, build-in effects, and build-out effects that aren't available in Keynote ’09 are converted to Dissolve.
- The Object Flip transition is renamed Revolve.
- Emphasis builds are removed.
- Comments on table cells are removed.