Import from iWork ’09
To import an iWork ’09 document:
- Choose File > Open.
- Then, select the document and click Open.
For information on what might change in your document, see the Changes that occur when importing from iWork ’09 section below.
Open an iWork '09 document
When you open an iWork '09 document, you might see a Warnings window with a list of features in your document that are supported in iWork ’09 but are not supported in the new iWork for Mac apps.
The first time you save or edit an iWork ’09 document in one of the new iWork for Mac apps, a dialog will ask you to confirm that you want to convert the document to the new iWork file format.
- Click Upgrade to convert the document to the new format.
- Click Cancel to cancel the save or edit.
- Click "Edit a Copy" to convert a copy of the document to the new format and preserve the original in the iWork ’09 format.
Revert or Export your document to iWork '09
If you've already upgraded your document to the new iWork file format and would like to revert back to a version of the document that you can open in iWork '09:
- You can revert to the most recent iWork '09 version by selecting File > Revert To. This will remove any changes you made.
- If you edited the document and want to preserve the edits, you can save the file as an iWork ’09 document by choosing File > Export To. Then, choose Pages ’09, Numbers ’09, or Keynote ’09. See Changes that occur when exporting to iWork ’09 below for information on possible changes to the document.
Changes that occur when importing from iWork ’09
Most of these changes will show in the Warnings window (shown above).
- Rotation is removed from tables and charts.
- Table fills are removed.
- Grouped wedges in pie charts are ungrouped.
- OS X search (Spotlight) metadata is removed.
- Change tracking is only supported for body text. Other tracked changes are accepted as final.
- Linked text boxes are unlinked.
- Links to other Pages files are removed.
- Bookmarks are hidden in Pages for Mac, but if you export your document back to Pages ’09, they'll reappear.
- Table categories are removed.
- The “Require password to exit show” setting is removed. To set a new password, choose Keynote > Preferences > Slideshow, and then select “Require password to exit slideshows.” Enter a password when prompted, and then click Set Password. This password will apply to all presentations played on this computer.
- Slides indented more than six levels are promoted to level six.
- Links to other Keynote files are removed.
- Rotation is removed from object placeholders.
- The following transitions are converted to Dissolve: Blur, Burn, Falling Tiles, Flash, Motion Dissolve, Radial, and Shutter.
- The Revolve transition is renamed Object Flip.
- Convergence builds are converted to Dissolve.
- The following types of builds are removed: Builds on master slides, smart builds, builds on chart legends.
Changes that occur when exporting to iWork ’09
- Curved shadows and contact shadows are converted to drop shadows.
- Comments on objects are removed.
- Anchored objects are converted to floating or inline objects.
- The following formulas are removed: INTERSECT.RANGES, POLYNOMIAL, SERIESSUM, UNION.RANGES, WEIBULL. The last calculated values are exported.
- Interactive charts are converted to regular charts.
- Bubble charts are converted to scatter charts.
- Vertical text—such as Chinese, Japanese, and Korean—isn’t fully supported in iWork ’09.
- Tables of contents are converted to plain text. They won’t update automatically in Pages ’09.
- Right-to-left text—such as Arabic and Hebrew—isn’t fully supported in Pages ’09.
- If a document contains "OR" filters within a column and "AND" filters across columns, all filter rules are exported; "AND" filters are converted to "OR".
- Duration-based filters and conditional highlights are removed.
- The following transitions are converted to Dissolve: Clothesline, Object Cube, Object Pop, Object Revolve, and Switch.
- The Object Flip transition is renamed Revolve.
- The following build-in effects are converted to Dissolve: Blur, Drift and Scale, Fade and Scale, Twist and Scale, Fireworks, Skid, and Trace.
- The following build-out effects are converted to Dissolve: Blur, Crumble, Fade and Scale, Skid, Trace, Twist and Scale, and Vanish.
- Emphasis builds are removed. Emphasis builds are Blink, Bounce, Flip, Jiggle, Pop, and Pulse.
- Comments on table cells are removed.
Learn which iWork ’09 features we plan to reintroduce.