Follow the steps for your type of remote. After each step, see if you still need help.
Apple Remote (aluminum or white)
- Move anything that blocks the path between your Apple Remote and the front of these devices: your Apple TV, television, receiver, and soundbar.
- On your Apple Remote, hold down Menu and Left for six seconds. Then try again.
- Unplug your Apple TV from the wall power outlet. Wait at least six seconds, then plug back in.
- Replace the battery in your Apple Remote.
Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote*
- Stay within range of your Apple TV when you use your Siri Remote, since the remote relies on Bluetooth. If you're nearby but the volume controls don't respond, move anything that blocks the path between your remote and the front of your television or receiver (For volume, your remote sometimes needs a line of sight to the IR sensor on the front of your home-theater equipment).
- Charge your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote for 30 minutes (use a Lightning to USB cable and a USB wall charger).
- Set your remote within three inches of and pointing at your Apple TV. Then press and hold your remote's Menu and Volume Up buttons for five seconds to pair your devices.
- Unplug your Apple TV from the wall power outlet. Wait at least six seconds, then plug it back in.
- If you have an Apple Remote (aluminum or white), try it instead of your Siri Remote. Or, if you already set up your Apple TV, you can use the Apple TV Remote app for iOS to control your Apple TV.
If you still need help, contact Apple Support.
Get more help
- If you need more information about the Apple TV Remote app for iOS
- If you want to learn how to use your Siri Remote or Apple Remote (aluminum or white)
- If you need to pair or unpair your Apple Remote (aluminum or white)
* Apple TV (4th generation) ships with the same remote everywhere. In countries and regions that support Siri, the remote is called Siri Remote. Elsewhere, it’s called Apple TV Remote. Siri works on either remote as long as your Apple TV (4th generation) is set up with a language and country that supports Siri.