If you send messages to someone who uses a different carrier, you might see these issues:
- Long SMS messages split into multiple parts or appear out of order.
- Received SMS messages have additional or unexpected characters.
- SMS messages display upside-down question marks.
If your SMS messages show up incorrectly, here are some things you can try:
- Send someone an SMS message with standard text. For example, send the word "Test" to a friend to make sure you can send and receive messages with standard text.
- Limit the use of special characters, such as letters with accents, emoji, or symbols.
- Make sure that your carrier supports the length of the SMS messages that you're trying to send. You can turn on the character count for SMS messages in Settings > Messages > Character Count.
If you want to send SMS messages to an international number, make sure that your carrier supports that country and carrier.