How to download apps for Mac
- Open the App Store app.
- Browse or search for the app that you want to download.
- Click the price or Get button. If you see the "Open" button instead of a price or Get button, you already bought or downloaded that app.
In the App Store, if an app has a Get button instead of a price, the app is free. You won't be charged for downloading a free app. Some free apps offer in-app purchases and subscriptions that you can buy. Subscriptions and in-app purchases give you access to more features, content, and more. Learn more about in-app purchases and subscriptions.
How to find apps that you bought
- If the app that you want doesn't appear in Launchpad, redownload the app. When you redownload an app, you don't have to pay for it again.
- If you want to download an app that a family member bought from the App Store, redownload the app. Make sure that you're both using Family Sharing.
- If you’re using a Mac with Apple silicon, you might be able to use some iPhone or iPad apps that you purchased on your Mac. Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then redownload the iPhone or iPad app onto your Mac.
If you can't find the App Store
Look for the App Store in these two places.
In the Dock
Look for the App Store icon in the Dock.
In the menu at the top of your screen
If you don't see the icon in the Dock, choose Apple menu > App Store from the menu at the top of your computer screen.
If you have an issue when you download apps
To buy apps from the App Store, you need an Apple ID and a payment method. If you’re only downloading free items, you still might need to keep a payment method on file.
- If you can’t download apps because your payment method was declined, update or change your payment method.
- Can’t sign in to the App Store? Learn what to do if you forgot your Apple ID or your Apple ID password. Or if you don’t have an Apple ID, learn how to set up an Apple ID.
- Learn what to do if you can sign in and your payment method is valid but you still can't download apps.
If an app does not work
Learn more about apps
- You can download some apps from the app developer’s website. But the App Store offers a more secure experience.
- Learn more about using apps on your Mac.