You can set a firmware password on these Mac computers.
- MacBook Air (Late 2010 and later)
- MacBook Pro (Early 2011 and later)
- MacBook Pro with Retina display (all models)
- iMac (Mid 2011 and later)
- Mac mini (Mid 2011 and later)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013)
- MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)
Only Apple Retail Stores or Apple Authorized Service Providers can unlock computers protected by a firmware password.
If you can't remember the firmware password for your Mac, schedule a service appointment with an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your proof of purchase (original receipt or invoice) with you. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store, make a reservation (available only in some countries).
To find out which Mac you have, use these resources: