If you see an alert
Alerts you might see on your iOS device when you try to check or send messages in Gmail include:
- "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server 'imap.gmail.com' failed."
- "Cannot Send Mail. The connection to the server 'smtp.gmail.com' failed."
- "The username or password for [account] is incorrect."
- "Could not connect using SSL. Would you like to try setting up the account without SSL?" If you select “yes” repeatedly, a message appears saying, "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server 'imap.gmail.com' failed.”
- “The mail server 'gmail.com' is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings.”
- “The IMAP server 'imap.gmail.com' is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the 'Incoming Mail Server' field.”
If you see any of these messages, follow these steps. After each step, check to see if you fixed the issue:
- Make sure your device is online by opening Safari and visiting www.apple.com.
- If you have other email accounts on your device, try to send and receive email from those accounts. If your Gmail account is the only one with the issue, fill out an unlock form to prove your identity.
- Remove your Gmail account from your device and add it again: Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars > Add Account > Google. Enter your account information.
Get more help
- If you enabled 2-Step verification for your Google account, you'll be able to sign in to Google to allow access during setup.
- If you're using iOS 8.2 or earlier, you'll need to generate an App Password to use with your iOS Device.
- For more help, follow this Google support article or visit their support articles for downloading and sending mail.