Before following the steps below, make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
- Quit iTunes.
- Go to the iTunes folder that contains the iTunes library files:
Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Go > Home. Open the Music folder, then open the iTunes folder.
Windows: Navigate to \Users\username\Music\iTunes\.
- Drag the iTunes Library.itl file to your Desktop.
- In the iTunes folder, open the Previous iTunes Libraries folder.
- Find the file named iTunes Library YYYY-MM-DD where YYYY-MM-DD is the date you updated iTunes (Year-Month-Day).
- Copy this file to the iTunes folder (the enclosing folder).
- Rename the copied file iTunes Library.
- Open iTunes.
You should now see your missing content in iTunes.
Any changes that you made to your library after the date you updated (step 6, above), such as new playlists that you created or songs that you added, might be missing.
- Learn how to locate and organize your iTunes files.
- Learn what to do if you see an exclamation point next to content in iTunes.