How to restart AMDS
You might see the following error when connecting your device: "This [device] cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device Service is not started."
Follow these steps to restart AMDS:
- Close iTunes and disconnect any iPhone, iPad, or iPod that's currently connected.
- Access the Run command by simultaneously pressing the Windows logo key and the R key on your computer's keyboard.
- Type services.msc and click Ok. The services console should open.
- Right-click on Apple Mobile Device Service and click Properties in the shortcut menu.
- Set the Startup type pop-up menu to Automatic.
- Click Stop the service.
- After the service has stopped, click Start the service.
- Click Ok.
- Restart the computer.
- Open iTunes and connect the device.
If AMDS still will not start, or if it stops unexpectedly, this could be caused by third-party security software. Learn how to resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software.
If AMDS isn't the issue, learn how to troubleshoot other causes for device recognition issues.