If you have these issues with your iPod, follow these steps:
- Connect your iPod to your computer with a USB cable.
- Put your iPod into Disk Mode. Press and hold the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons at the same time until you see a message that says Do not disconnect. Learn more about Disk Mode.
- Find your device in iTunes.
- If you're able to find your device in iTunes, you might need to restore it in order to get it to turn on properly.
- If you see a message that says the volume can't be mounted and asks if you want to initialize the disk, choose to initialize the iPod disk.
If you can't put your iPod into Disk Mode after following these steps, it might need to be repaired. Contact Apple Support for more help.