AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time Capsule printer sharing is for printing only, not for printer utilities or other special features that might require a direct USB connection.
To print from an iOS device, you need AirPrint enabled printer. See AirPrint Basics for a list of AirPrint enabled printers.
Check for software updates
Disconnect and reconnect
- Unplug your AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, or AirPort Time Capsule from the power outlet.
- Turn off the printer.
- Be sure the USB cable from the printer is connected to the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, or AirPort Time Capsule.
- Turn on the printer.
- Plug in your AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, or AirPort Time Capsule to a power outlet and wait for it to be ready.
- Try to print.
Check your printer driver
Check the website of the printer's manufacturer for the latest driver version.
Reset printing system
Use these steps on your Mac if the above steps don't help.
- Open System Preferences > Print & Fax preferences.
- Control-click or right-click in the Printers section on the left.
- Choose Reset printing system....
- Click OK.
- Click the + button to add your printer again.
- Try to print.
Still not working?
If your printer still doesn't work with AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, or AirPort Time Capsule printer sharing, but does work when directly connected to your Mac, contact the printer manufacturer for additional information and to verify that printer sharing is supported.
See this article for additional help setting up a USB printer on your Wi-Fi network.