AirPlay audio from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
You can AirPlay audio from an iOS device to your Apple TV, HomePod, or AirPlay-enabled device. Here’s how:
- Open the app that you want to AirPlay audio from.
- Tap or .
- Choose the device that you want to AirPlay to.
Want a quicker way to AirPlay audio? Just use Control Center. To open Control Center, swipe up from the bottom of your screen. On iPhone X, swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen. Then press deeply or touch and hold the audio card in the upper-right corner and tap .
AirPlay audio from Apple TV
To AirPlay audio from a video you’re watching on Apple TV, swipe down from the top of your remote and select the AirPlay device under Audio.
If you’re listening to music, select , then select your AirPlay device. Or press and hold on the remote and select an AirPlay device.
You can also select an AirPlay device to AirPlay all audio from your Apple TV to the device. Just go to Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Output and select your AirPlay device.
AirPlay from Apple TV to HomePod is currently in beta.
AirPlay audio from iTunes
To AirPlay from iTunes to another device, make sure that your Mac and the AirPlay device are on the same Wi-Fi or ethernet network. Then follow these steps:
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- To the right of the volume slider in iTunes, click .
- Click the name of the AirPlay device. Want to AirPlay to multiple devices? Just click the devices that you want to AirPlay to.
AirPlay audio from your Mac
To AirPlay from your Mac to another device, both your Mac and the AirPlay device need to be on the same Wi-Fi or ethernet network. Then click the in the menu bar. Under Output Device, select the device that you want to AirPlay to.
If you don’t see the device that you want to AirPlay to, try the following:
- Make sure that the AirPlay-enabled device is turned on.
- Try moving your device closer to the device that you want to AirPlay to.
- Make sure that your iOS device and the AirPlay-enabled device have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.
- Restart both devices.
Some iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch models using earlier versions of iOS, some Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) models, computers, and many third-party AirPlay devices require both devices to be connected to the same Wi-Fi or Ethernet network in order to use AirPlay.
If you can't AirPlay to your HomePod
If you have admin privileges (the ability to edit or change something) in the Home app, check your speaker settings:
- Open the Home app and tap in the upper-left corner.
- Tap Home Settings, then tap your Home.
- Under Speakers, tap Allow Speaker Access. If Only People Sharing This Home is selected, you need to invite other HomePod users to share the Home using an iOS device or Apple TV before they can AirPlay to the device.
If you're using a Mac or PC, you can't AirPlay to HomePod if you select Only People Sharing This Home.
- Use AirPlay to share video, photos, or the entire screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to an Apple TV.
- Switch between speakers, headphones, and headsets when you're listening to audio on your iOS device.
- Use AirPlay to see your Mac screen on an HDTV.