The iBooks app on your computer works just like iBooks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
If you buy a book on your Mac or your iOS device, it’s automatically available through iTunes in the Cloud on all of your iOS devices and all of your Mac computers. You can also sync your bookmarks, notes, and collections across your devices.
If you have iOS 7, your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch will automatically ask you to sync.
The information below only covers how to download and sync books purchased from the iBooks Store. Learn how to sync PDFs and non-iBooks Store books.
Download books to your device
Items purchased on other devices or your Mac might appear in your library with a cloud icon in the upper-right corner. This shows that the item is available to download from iCloud, but isn't on your Mac or iOS device.
To download the item and start reading it, tap the book you want to read. The book will download and open after a few moments, depending on your connection speed.
If you don't see all of your purchased items in iBooks, check your settings.
See your purchased books
On your Mac
- Click Sort By in the upper-right corner of iBooks.
- Click "Show iCloud Books" from the bottom of the pop-up menu.
On your iOS device
- In iBooks 3.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iBooks > Show All Purchases.
- In iBooks 4.0 or later, tap the menu at the top of the screen (which could say All Books, Books, PDFs, or the name of one of your collections), then tap Hide iCloud Books at the bottom of the pop-up menu to turn it off.
Keep your books up to date across your devices
If you start reading a book on one device, you can pick up where you left off on another device. Collections, highlights, notes, and bookmarks sync across all of your devices. Follow the steps below to sync.
On your Mac
- Open the iBooks app.
- Select iBooks > Preferences > General.
- Select "Sync bookmarks, highlights and collections across devices."
This setting is on by default.
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Go to Settings > iBooks.
- Select Sync Collections and Sync Bookmarks and Notes.
In iBooks 3.2 or earlier, select Sync Collections and Sync Bookmarks.
If you don't see all of your information on all of your devices, check your settings:
- Make sure that you turned on the above sync settings on all of your devices.
- Make sure that you're using the same Apple ID in the iBooks Store on all of your devices.
Learn how to sync PDFs and non-iBooks Store books.