These computers support up to 192 kHz sample rate for audio playback:
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) and later
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and later
- Mac Pro (Late 2013)
- iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and later
- Mac mini (Late 2014)
To set your Mac to play high sample rate audio:
- Connect one end of a TOSLINK optical cable to the headphone port on your Mac and the other end to your audio device (for example, a receiver or Hi-Fi stereo system).
- Open the Audio MIDI Setup app (located in Applications > Utilities).
- Choose your audio device from the list on the left side of the Audio Devices window and, if necessary, choose “Use this device for sound output” from the Action pop-up menu .
- Select a sample rate (for example, 192000.0 Hz) from the Format pop-up menu.
If the audio hardware in your Mac doesn't support high sample rate audio, use a third-party digital audio interface.