These computers support up to 192 kHz sample rate for audio playback:
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) and later
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and later
- Mac Pro (Late 2013)
- iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014)
- Mac mini (Late 2014)
To set your Mac to play high sample rate audio:
- Connect one end of a TOSLINK optical cable to the headphone port on your Mac, and connect the other end to your audio device, such as an AV receiver.
- Open Audio MIDI Setup, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
- Select your audio device from the list on the left side of the Audio Devices window.
- If necessary, choose “Use this device for sound output” from the Action pop-up menu .
- Select a sample rate, such as 176400.0 Hz or 192000.0 Hz, from the Format pop-up menu.
If the audio hardware in your Mac doesn't support high sample rate audio, use a third-party digital audio interface.