You can pair Apple Magic keyboards or Apple Wireless keyboards with Apple TV. Many third-party Bluetooth keyboards can also work with Apple TV. If you aren’t sure whether your third-party keyboard is compatible, ask the manufacturer.
Pair your keyboard
- Turn on your keyboard. If it's a third-party keyboard, you might need to put it in discovery mode. If you need help, check the instructions that came with it.
- For Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), select Settings > Remotes and Devices > Bluetooth. For earlier models, go to Settings > General > Bluetooth. Then your Apple TV will search for nearby Bluetooth accessories.
- Select your keyboard.
- If asked, enter the four-digit code, then press Enter or Return.
If you need help, learn what to do.
Use your keyboard
- Search and enter text, email addresses, passwords, and more.
- Navigate menus on your Apple TV using the arrow, Return, and Escape keys.
- Jump to an item, title, or name on the screen by typing the first few letters. For example, when viewing your music collection, type a song title to jump to it.
- If your keyboard has , , or keys, they might work to control music and videos and to select previous or next.
Use shortcuts on your Magic Keyboard for Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation)
If you have a Magic Keyboard or Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, here's a list of shortcuts to use with your Apple TV:
- Press F3 to quickly switch to a different app.
- Press F4 to go to the Home screen.
- Press F7 to rewind and F9 to fast forward.
- Press F8 or spacebar to play or pause content.
- Use the arrow keys to navigate.
- Press return to make selections.
Unpair your keyboard
- For Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), select Settings > Remotes and Devices > Bluetooth. For earlier models, select Settings > General > Bluetooth.
- Select your keyboard, then select Unpair Device.
If you can't pair your keyboard with your Apple TV:
- Turn on your keyboard and make sure that it's in range of your Apple TV.
- Make sure that your keyboard is discoverable or in pairing mode. If it isn't, turn your keyboard off and back on. For help, check your keyboard's manual.
- Make sure that your keyboard isn't paired or connected to another device.
If your keyboard can't stay connected:
- See if you need to charge your keyboard or replace its batteries.
- Check for nearby sources of interference, like other wireless or Bluetooth devices.
- Unpair your keyboard, then pair it with your Apple TV again.
Apple TV uses the U.S. English keyboard layout regardless of the keyboard's hardware layout. If you need help with a third-party Bluetooth keyboard, contact the manufacturer.