Set brightness or use Auto-Brightness
To adjust brightness, use Control Center. You can also do this from Settings, where you can find extra options like Auto-Brightness. Here's how:
- Go to Settings > Display & Brightness.
- Drag the slider to the right or left.
- If your iOS device has an ambient-light sensor, you’ll see an Auto-Brightness setting under the slider. Auto-Brightness uses a light sensor to adjust brightness based on your surroundings. This setting can sometimes improve battery life.
If you want to raise or lower the Auto-Brightness levels, you can customize the setting:
- Go to Settings > Display & Brightness and turn on Auto-Brightness. The brightness slider moves according to the lighting conditions.
- Use the slider to adjust the Auto-Brightness setting.
If Auto-Brightness isn’t working as expected, reset it. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness and turn off Auto-Brightness. Then turn it on again.
Want the colors of your display to automatically shift to the warmer end of the color spectrum after dark? Just turn on Night Shift on your iOS device.
Use True Tone display
You can use True Tone display with iPad Pro (9.7-inch). True Tone uses advanced multichannel sensors to adjust the color and intensity of your display to match the ambient light, so images appear more natural.
You can use True Tone display and Night Shift together or separately. Turn True Tone display on or off in Settings > Display & Brightness.*
* Some display accessibility settings, including Invert Colors, Grayscale, and Increase Contrast, might turn off Night Shift or True Tone display.
Use Auto-Lock and Raise to Wake
After a period of inactivity, the Auto-Lock setting locks your screen with your passcode to help protect your personal information. Here's how to turn it on or off:
- Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock.
- Choose an amount of inactivity* (from 30 Seconds up to 5 Minutes) that will turn off and lock your screen. Or to turn off Auto-Lock, select Never.
Raise to Wake turns on your screen as soon as you pick up your device. To turn this feature on or off, go to Settings > Display & Brightness. Raise to Wake works with iPhone 6s and later.
* When used for business or education purposes, some iOS devices have passcode restrictions that prevent adjustments to the Auto-Lock settings.
Adjust the appearance of text and icons
From Settings > Display & Brightness, you can adjust the appearance of text and icons:
- Text size: To use bigger or smaller text, tap Text Size and adjust the slider.
- Bold Text: To turn this feature on or off, tap Bold Text.
- View: If you have an iPhone 6 or later, you can choose a Standard View or one that displays larger text and icons.
Maximize battery life