Work with images
- Whenever possible, use JPG files for opaque raster images and PNG files for transparent raster images.
- Resize, crop, and rotate images to the desired size and rotation before you import them into iBooks Author.
- If you need to use high-resolution images in your book, wait to add them until your book is almost finished.
Image size depends on the type of display your readers use. Learn how to optimize books created with iBooks Author for devices with Retina and non-Retina displays.
Work with movies
- Trim your movies to the desired length before you export them for use in iBooks Author.
- Learn more about working with movie files in iBooks Author.
- Organize your book into chapters with sections. Avoid creating large sections or chapters.
- Avoid adding too many widgets to a single page.
- The iBooks Store will accept books up to 2.0 GB for publication. Although you can distribute larger books for free through other channels, keep the size down for best results and to avoid performance issues.
- As an alternative to using the Preview function in iBooks Author, you also can export your book as an iBooks file. Then, copy that file to your iPad through iTunes.