iBooks Author can embed custom TrueType (.ttf) and OpenType (.otf) fonts into books for complete control over text appearance.
The Font menu in the Format menu bar only shows supported fonts, but the OS Font panel, which you can access by clicking the Fonts button in the toolbar, should display all of the fonts on your system. If you select an unsupported font for your book, you'll receive a warning, and a supported font will replace the unsupported one when you view the book on an iPad. For best results, select your fonts from the Font menu.
When you publish or export your book, iBooks Author will obfuscate (protect) the third-party fonts. This protection is separate from DRM copy protection.
If you're using a third-party font in your book, make sure that your font licenses give you permission to distribute them in this manner. If you're not sure if this is permitted with your license, contact your font provider and/or legal counsel.
Find out the type of your font
If you're not sure if the font that you want to use in your book is supported or unsupported, get information about it in Font Book.
- From your Applications folder, open Font Book.
- Select the font from the Font list.
- In the upper-left corner of the Font Book window, click the Info button.
- The font's type will be listed next to Kind in the font information window.
The font's full location, including the file extension, will be listed next to Location. Make sure that the file extension is either .ttf or .otf.
Some third-party applications, such as Microsoft Office, might install copies of fonts that are included in your system, but the additional copy might not be compatible with iBooks. If you receive a warning when using a font that should be supported, follow the steps below:
- In Font Book, find the font.
- Click the triangle next to the font's name.
- Select each version of the font, and view the Location in the font info window.
- If the version of the font that includes .ttf or .otf is currently inactive, select it, and then choose Enable [font name] from the Edit menu.
If the version of the font that does not include .ttf or .otf is currently active, select it, and then choose Disable [font name] from the Edit menu.
Find the Edit menu in the menu bar at the top of your computer screen.