Add an emoji
Find the emoji keyboard in any app that uses the standard keyboard, like Mail or Messages. To add an emoji:
- Tap the text field, then tap .
- Use the gray icons at the bottom of the keyboard to switch emoji themes, or swipe left or right to view more. Tap to see emoji that you've recently used.
- To change the skin tone of certain emoji, tap and hold an emoji.
- Tap an emoji to add it to your text field.
With Messages in iOS 10, you can send bigger emoji. If you send more than three emoji or add emoji with text, emoji adjusts to a smaller size.
Tap to replace words with emoji
With iOS 10, the Messages app shows you words that you can replace with emoji.
- Open Messages and tap to start a new message or tap on an existing message.
- Write your message, then tap on your keyboard.
- Wait for the words to turn orange.
- Tap an orange word to replace it with an emoji. If there's more than one emoji you can use, the Quick Reply field shows you options to choose from.
- When you're ready, tap to send.
If you want to replace the emoji with the original word, just tap the emoji.
Don't see the emoji keyboard?
If you don't see the emoji keyboard, make sure that the emoji keyboard is turned on.
- Tap Settings > General > Keyboard.
- Tap Keyboards.
- Tap Add New Keyboard.
- Tap Emoji.