If you want to automatically download your purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store to your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or computer, turn on Automatic Downloads.
All new content that you buy after you turn on Automatic Downloads automatically downloads to all of your devices. When you turn on Automatic Downloads, your device also associates with your Apple ID.
If you use Family Sharing and turn on Automatic Downloads, content that other members of your family buy won't automatically download to your devices. Only content that you've purchased with your Apple ID will download automatically.
What you'll need
- An iTunes Store account in a country where you can redownload iTunes purchases.
- The latest version of iTunes.
- The latest iOS software. Learn how to update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
You'll also need to sign in to both your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and your computer with the same Apple ID.
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Tap Settings > iTunes & App Store.
- If you're not already, sign in with your Apple ID.
- Turn on the content that you want to automatically download.
You can turn Automatic Downloads on or off over your cellular network on an iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular. Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store and turn Use Cellular Data on or off. Cellular Data downloads are limited to a file size of 100 MB or smaller.
On your computer
- Open iTunes.
- If you haven't authorized your computer, choose Store > Authorize This Computer.
- Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences. Then click the Store tab.
Windows: Press the Control and B keys on your keyboard to open the iTunes menu bar. Choose Edit > Preferences. Then click the Store tab. Learn more about menus in iTunes for Windows.
- Select the content that you want to automatically download. If you can't select anything, sign in to the iTunes Store with your Apple ID.
- Click OK.
In OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later and iTunes 11.1 or later, the Automatic Downloads preference for books is in the iBooks for Mac app.
- Open iBooks for Mac.
- From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iBooks > Preferences. Then click the Store tab.
- Select "Download new purchases automatically."
- If prompted, sign in with your Apple ID and password.
More about Automatic Downloads
- If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has an Internet connection and you turn on Push Notifications, your content automatically downloads to your device. On an associated device that doesn't support Push Notifications, your content automatically appears in your iTunes download queue. You can manually download the content in iTunes.
- Music, movies, and TV shows that you buy on your Apple TV automatically download to a Mac or PC running iTunes 12 on which you've turned on Automatic Downloads.
- Automatic Downloads for music and downloading past music, movie, or TV show purchases might not be available in all countries. Find out if you can redownload purchases from iTunes in your country.
- Automatic Downloads for movies and TV shows is only available through iTunes 12. Automatic Downloads can't be turned on for video on iOS.