iBooks comes pre-installed on iOS 8 and later. To install the latest compatible version of iBooks on an older version of iOS, follow these steps.
You can sync PDF documents to your computer from iBooks in iOS and iTunes 10.1 or later.
You can also view PDF email attachments or PDFs from Safari in the app.
View a PDF email attachment
You can open PDF documents, such as a PDF attached to an email, with iBooks:
- Open the email with the PDF attachment, and tap the attachment.
- Tap the Share icon .
- Tap "Copy to iBooks" to open the attachment in iBooks.
When you use iBooks to open a PDF, iBooks automatically saves a copy of the pdf to your iBooks PDF shelf.
The next time you sync your iOS device with a computer, your PDF saves to either iBooks or iTunes.
- For OS X Mavericks or later, your PDF syncs to your iBooks Library.
- For OS X Mountain Lion and earlier or Windows users, these PDFs will sync to your iTunes Book Library.
Sync and save PDFs
The first time that you open iBooks after you update to iOS 9.3 or OS X 10.11.4, you'll be prompted to use iCloud. Learn more about syncing your books and PDFs using iCloud.
You can also add PDFs to your iTunes library on your computer by dragging and dropping the PDF into your iTunes Book library. The files will appear when you are preparing your device to sync. If you're using OS X Mavericks or later, drag and drop your PDFs into your iBooks library using iBooks for Mac. All PDF or iBook files in your iBooks library are available to sync to your iOS device via iTunes.
To sync a PDF from your computer to iBooks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Select your iOS device. (Learn how to sync your data with iTunes.)
- Under Settings, click Books.
- Select Sync Books.
- If iTunes is set to sync only selected books, make sure that there's a check in the checkbox next to the PDF you want to sync.
- Click Sync.
You can also use iTunes to back up your PDF files. To transfer PDFs to your computer and back them up, transfer purchases from your iOS device to your computer. These files are not in an iTunes Backup. Learn more about what's contained in iTunes and iCloud backups.
Email and print PDFs
To print or email your PDFs or notes in iBooks for iOS:
- Open iBooks.
- Tap the menu at the top of the screen.
Depending on which view you're on, this menu might be called All Books, Books, PDFs, or the name of a collection you created.
- Select PDFs from the pop-up menu.
- Tap the PDF that you want to print or email.
- Tap the Share icon in the top menu bar. You might need to tap once anywhere on the screen for the menu to appear.
- Tap Print or Email, depending on what you want to do.
- Print: Select an AirPrint printer, page range, and number of copies. Then tap Print.
Email: Enter the email address you'd like to send the PDF to, and add a message to the body, if you want. Then tap Send.
Learn more about AirPrint.
Learn more about iBooks.