iBooks comes pre-installed on iOS 8. iBooks 3.2 or later requires iOS 7 or later. To install the latest compatible version of iBooks on an older version of iOS, follow these steps.
You can sync PDF documents to your computer from iBooks in iOS and iTunes 10.1 or later.
You can also view PDF email attachments or PDFs from Safari in the app.
View a PDF email attachment
You can open PDF documents, such as a PDF attached to an email, with iBooks:
- Open the email with the PDF attachment, and tap the attachment.
- Tap the Share icon in the upper-right corner.
- Tap "Open in iBooks" to open the attachment. iBooks will open, and you can view your PDF.
When you use iBooks to open a PDF, iBooks will automatically save a copy of it to your iBooks PDF shelf. These PDFs will sync to your iTunes Book Library (or iBooks, in OS X Mavericks or later) the next time you sync your device with iTunes.
Sync and save PDFs
To add PDFs to your iTunes library on your computer, drag and drop the PDF into your iTunes Book library. If you're using OS X Mavericks or later, drag and drop your PDFs into your iBooks library using iBooks for Mac.
If you are using Manually Manage Music or Videos, disable the option in the Syncing Summary tab.
To sync a PDF from your computer to iBooks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Select your iOS device. (Learn how to sync your data with iTunes.)
- Click the Books tab.
- Select Sync Books.
- If iTunes is set to sync only selected books, select the checkbox next to the PDF you want to sync.
- Click Sync.
You can also use iTunes to back up your PDF files so that they will restore to your iOS device after you update or restore your software or transfer information to a different device. To transfer PDFs to your computer and back them up, transfer purchases from your iOS device to your computer. These files are not in an iTunes Backup. Learn more about what's contained in iTunes and iCloud backups.
Share and print PDFs
To print or email your PDFs or notes in iBooks:
- Open iBooks.
- Tap the menu at the top of the screen.
Depending on which view you're on, this menu might be called All Books, Books, PDFs, or the name of a collection you created.
- Select PDFs from the pop-up menu.
- Tap the PDF that you want to print or email.
- Tap the Share icon in the top menu bar.
- Tap Print or Email, depending on what you want to do.
- Print: Select an AirPrint printer, page range, and number of copies. Then tap Print.
Email: Enter the email address you'd like to send the PDF to, and add a message to the body, if you want. Then tap Send.
Learn more about AirPrint.
About Sync Collections
If you turned on Sync Collections, iBooks will keep your PDFs (and non–iBooks Store books) in the same collections across all your iOS devices and Mac (if you're using OS X Mavericks or later). For example, if you have the same PDF on all of your devices, when you move that PDF to your Sci-Fi collection in iBooks on your iPhone, that PDF will appear in your Sci-Fi collection in iBooks on your iPad the next time you open the app.
If you delete a PDF (or non–iBooks Store book) while you have Sync Collections turned on, it only affects the copy on the device you delete it from. For example, if you delete a copy of the PDF from your iPad, it will still be on your iPhone.
Learn more about iBooks.