Data protection is available for devices that offer hardware encryption, including iPhone 3GS and later, all iPad models, and iPod touch (3rd generation and later). Data protection enhances the built-in hardware encryption by protecting the hardware encryption keys with your passcode. This provides an additional layer of protection for your email messages attachments, and third-party applications.
Enable data protection by configuring a passcode for your device:
- Tap Settings > General > Passcode.
- Follow the prompts to create a passcode.
- After the passcode is set, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and verify that "Data protection is enabled" is visible.
Use these passcode settings to maximize passcode security:
- Set Require Passcode to Immediately.
- Disable Simple Passcode to use longer, alphanumeric passcodes.
- Enable Erase Data to automatically erase the device after ten failed passcode attempts.