- Download and install the firmware update application using Server Admin, the softwareupdate command, or Software Update via Screen Sharing or Apple Remote Desktop.
- Log into the Xserve as an administrator via ssh.
- Run these commands:
cd /Applications/Utilities/Xserve\ EFI\ Firmware\ Update.app/
- Follow the instructions provided by the updater.
- If your firmware needs to be updated, you will need to press 'y' to confirm, then shut down the Xserve. To shut down you may use Server Monitor, Apple Remote Desktop, Screen Sharing, ipmitool, or the 'shutdown -h now' command via the ssh session. Note: Choose Shut Down, not Restart.
- After shutting down, your Xserve will automatically power up and flash the firmware. Flashing will take a few minutes. DO NOT INTERRUPT the Xserve while flashing!
- After the Xserve restarts, repeat steps 2 and 3 to confirm that your firmware is up to date.
As an alternative, you may use this extended sudo command in step 3 to automatically answer 'y' to confirm that you want to update your firmware and shut down your Xserve:
sudo ./Contents/Resources/RemoteEFIUpdater -y -shutdown
Use 'RemoteEFIUpdater -h' to see more usage information.