To use this feature, your wireless carrier must offer Personal Hotspot and your devices must meet certain system requirements.
The table below lists the iPhone and iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models) capable of Personal Hotspot and which connections they can use to share cellular data with another device:
|iPhone 4 or later||✓||✓||✓|
|iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G*||✓||✓|
|iPad (3rd generation or later) Wi-Fi + Cellular||✓||✓||✓|
|iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular||✓||✓||✓|
|* On iPhone 3G, Personal Hotspot is referred to as Internet tethering.|
To connect to a Personal Hotspot, your device requires:
- Wi-Fi: Support for 802.11g/n using WPA2 encryption.
- USB: Mac or PC with iTunes 9.2 or later installed.
- Bluetooth: Mac OS X v10.4.11 or Windows.
Verify that your carrier supports Personal Hotspot for your device and that you have Personal Hotspot enabled on your cellular plan:
- iPhone: View a list of carriers that support Personal Hotspot on the iPhone.
- iPad and iPad mini: Check with your carrier for availability.
Find more information on using Personal Hotspot.