To see if you have duplicate items, follow these steps:
- Mac: From the menu at the top of your computer screen, choose View > Show Duplicate Items.
Windows: Hold down the Control and B keys on your keyboard to open the iTunes menu bar. Choose View > Show Duplicate Items. Learn more about menus in iTunes for Windows.
- Sort by name or artist to group items together. Then use other columns to decide which duplicate to remove.
Matches are based on the song name and artist. If you have multiple versions of the same song (for example, live and studio versions, or versions from different albums), hold the Alt or Option key (Mac) or the Shift key (Windows) and choose View > Show Exact Duplicate Items. This will show only the duplicate songs that have the same name, artist, and album.
The information in the other columns, such as Time, Release Date, or Genre, can also help you determine which item to keep and which to remove. For example, the Plays column shows which version of the song you've listened to more. If you have iCloud Music Library turned on, you might also want to use the iCloud Status or Kind columns to help you decide.
To remove duplicates from your library, follow these steps:
- Select the duplicate that you want to delete.
- Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Edit > Delete.
Windows: Hold down the Control and B keys on your keyboard to open the iTunes menu bar. Choose Edit > Delete. Learn more about menus in iTunes for Windows.
- When you're done deleting duplicates from your library, click Done.