Be sure you are running the latest version of iMovie. You can do this by choosing Software Update or App Store from the Apple () menu, and then installing any iMovie updates that are listed.
Note: If you are using iMovie ’08, go to iMovie ’08: Flip Video MinoHD camcorder.
To import and play back video clips from Flip Ultra and Flip Mino camcorders in iMovie, you need a third-party QuickTime component called "3ivx". To install 3ivx:
- Visit the 3ivx website and download a free trial of the 3ivx QuickTime component (version 5.0.5 or later).
- Open the downloaded file, then open the "Install 3ivx MPEG-4.pkg" installer
- Install the 3ivx QuickTime component.
- Connect your Flip camcorder to your Mac.
- Open iMovie.
- From the File menu, choose Import > Movies.
- In the window that appears, navigate to your Flip camcorder and select the folder named "DCIM." Inside this folder there should be a file for each video clip on your camera.
- Select the files that you’d like to import, then click Import.
- When you have confirmed that import and playback functionality are working properly in iMovie, you may purchase the 3ivx QuickTime component here.
Note: If you are using iMovie 9.0.8, after installing the 3ivx QuickTime component you will see a warning dialog when opening iMovie that instructs you to remove it. To disable this warning, select the "Do not show this message again" checkbox, and click Continue.