When you can disconnect before you eject
You can safely disconnect your iPod and unplug the USB cable if the iPod displays any of the messages or screens below:
- "OK to disconnect"
- The iPod main menu with selections like Music, Settings, and Extras.
You can also safely disconnect your iPod shuffle when it displays a solid amber or solid green LED.
When you need to eject before you unplug
You must eject your iPod before you disconnect if it displays any of the screens below:
- "Do not disconnect"
- "Connected, Eject Before Disconnecting"
- "Sync in Progress, Please Wait ..."
You must eject your iPod shuffle first before disconnecting when it displays a blinking amber LED.
If the "Enable disk use" or "Manually manage music and videos" options are turned-on for iPod in iTunes, you will need to manually eject your iPod each time before you disconnect the cable.
Eject your iPod
- Locate your iPod.
- From the sidebar on the left-hand side of the iTunes window, click the eject icon.
After you select your iPod, you can also eject it using the Command and E keys on your keyboard.
If your iPod doesn't eject
If the iPod display continues to indicate that it shouldn't be disconnected, use the method below to eject your iPod:
- Open Finder.
- From the left sidebar, under Devices, click the iPod icon.
- From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose File > Eject "[Your iPod's name]".
- Windows XP and Windows 2000: Double-click My Computer.
Windows Vista: From the Start menu, click Computer.
- Right-click the iPod icon.
- From the shortcut menu, choose Eject.