You can rent movies through:
- A Mac or PC with the latest version of iTunes.
- An iPhone, iPad, iPod touch with the latest version of iOS.
- An Apple TV with the latest version of tvOS.
To find movies available for rent, browse the iTunes Store and look for movies with a Rent button.
When you click Rent, you can download the movie to your device by clicking or tapping . Download time depends on the speed of your internet connection. Some titles have the option to stream. For these titles, when you tap or click , you can play the movie immediately, without downloading it. Learn more about streaming your movies.
iTunes Store uses the payment method that's associated with your Apple ID to pay for your rental. You can also use iTunes Store credit to rent movies.
Watch rented movies
Tap or click to start streaming your movie. For downloads, you can start watching your movie as soon as enough of it has downloaded for the movie to complete without interruption. How long this takes depends on the speed of your Internet connection. After it's fully downloaded, you can also use AirPlay to stream it from your Mac or PC or your iOS device to your Apple TV.
To watch an HD movie, you need to play it on a supported device: your Mac or PC, iPhone 4 or later, iPad, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or TV using Apple TV.
How long you have to watch
You have 30 days to start watching a movie after you rent it. After you start watching the movie, you have 24 hours (in the US) or 48 hours (elsewhere) to finish it. You can watch the movie as often as you like until it expires.
If you don’t start watching a movie within 30 days, you must rent it again.
Movies you rent disappear from your iTunes library when the rental period ends.
Watch your movie rental offline
To watch your movie when you're offline, like on an airline flight where Wi-Fi is not available:
- Download the entire movie before you go offline.
- Press play to start watching. The 24-hour timer starts even if you're offline.
You might consider downloading rented movies prior to the day of your trip to make sure you have time to download all of the content.
Watch your movie rental on a different device
If you rented the movie on your Mac or PC, but want to watch it on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, connect the devices and sync using USB. When you move a rented movie from your Mac or PC, it disappears from your computer’s iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as often as you want, but you can have it on only one device at a time.
If you rented the movie on your iOS device or Apple TV, you can’t move it to any other device.
If you rented the movie on your Apple TV, you can watch it on other Apple TVs, however, you can only watch on one Apple TV at a time.
Rent movies with subtitles or closed captioning
Movies with subtitles have a note about subtitles in their title or plot summary. Movies with closed captioning have the closed captioning logo on the movie page.
Find movies you rented previously
Find your movie on the device you used to rent it.
- On a Mac or PC: Go to the Rentals tab in the Movies section of the iTunes Library.
- On an iOS device: Go to the Rental tab of the Videos app.
- Using Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation): Look in the top shelf of the main menu.
- Using Apple TV (4th generation): If you rent a movie directly from your device, it appears on the Rentals tab in the Movies app. If you rent a movie on your computer or iOS device, use AirPlay to stream it to your Apple TV.
Some features or services are not available in some iTunes Store countries. Learn more about what's available in your country.