Before you bring in your device
Follow these steps before you take your device to an Apple Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or carrier. If your device won't turn on or respond, finish as many steps as possible:
- Back up your device.
- Have your Apple ID password ready. For some repairs, you'll need your Apple ID password to erase your device and turn off Find My iPhone.*
- Bring your sales receipt if possible, in case your service requires proof of purchase.
- Bring your device and any accessories that you need help with.
- If you haven't already, call to check whether you need an appointment before you go to a service location. For example, schedule a Genius Bar reservation before you go to an Apple Store.
Before you send your device
Follow these steps before you send your device in for repair or replacement. If it won't turn on or respond, finish as many steps as possible:
- If you need to send in an iPhone that's paired with an Apple Watch, unpair your devices. When you unpair, your iPhone will create a new backup of your Apple Watch. You can use the backup to restore your Apple Watch when your iPhone returns from service.
- Back up your iOS device.
- Tap Settings > Messages. Turn off iMessage.
- Erase your device: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. If asked, enter your passcode and Apple ID password.
- Make sure that Activation Lock is disabled.
- Remove any SIM card, case, or screen protector from your device and keep your cable and charger.
Now your device is ready to send. If you've arranged a repair request, you should have received instructions for how to mail in your device. If you didn't get instructions or you haven't set up a repair request, contact Apple Support.
Contact Apple Support for more information.
*If you're unable to turn off Find My iPhone, Apple can't provide support services. This policy is in force to prevent unauthorized persons from servicing your device without your knowledge. If you don't remember your Apple ID and Password, please go to iForgot.