If your screen is black or frozen
First, try to force your device to restart.
- Forcing your device to restart won't erase the content currently on your device.
- You can force your device to restart even if your screen is black or your buttons aren't responding.
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.
If your device still won't turn on or start up
Plug in your device and let it charge for at least 1 hour.
After a few minutes, you should see the charging screen.
If you don't see the charging screen within an hour, or you see the connect to power screen, check your connector, USB cable, and power adapter. Make sure that everything is plugged in firmly, free of debris, and not damaged. You might want to try a different USB cable or power adapter.
If you device still won't turn on, see what to do next.
If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up
You might see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen for a long time during start up. Try these steps:
- Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you can borrow one, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
- While your device is connected, force it to restart. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the Recovery mode screen.
- When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.
What to do next
Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of these issues:
- You still see a black screen after charging and resetting.
- You see a black screen, but can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
- Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond to when you tap, slide, or try other gestures.
- You can't force your device to restart because your Home button or Sleep/Wake button is broken or stuck.
- Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.