Force close an app
When you double-click the Home button, your recently used apps appear. The apps aren’t open, but they're in standby mode to help you navigate and multitask. You should force an app to close only when it’s unresponsive.
iPhone 8 or earlier
- Double-click the Home button to show your most recently uses apps.
- Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close.
- Swipe up on the app's preview to close the app.
- From the Home screen, swipe up and pause.
- Firmly touch and hold the app, then tap . You can also swipe up to close the app as soon as you see .