Turn on Restrictions
You can turn on and adjust Restrictions on your device by following these steps.
- Tap Settings > General.
- Tap Restrictions.
- Tap Enable Restrictions and enter a passcode. You'll need the passcode to change your settings or turn off Restrictions.
If you lose or forget your Restrictions passcode, you'll need to perform a factory restore to remove it.
See what you can restrict
You can restrict access to these apps and features1 on the device:
- Camera (also disables FaceTime)
- iTunes Store
- iBooks Store2
- In-App Purchases
- Installing apps
- Deleting apps
You can prevent access to specific content types, such as these:
- Ratings (select the country in the ratings section to automatically apply the appropriate content ratings for that region)
- Music and podcasts
- TV shows
- You can also adjust the time necessary before a password is required to purchase content
You can prevent changes to privacy settings, including these:
- Location Services
- Bluetooth sharing
You can prevent changes to these settings and accounts:
- Find My Friends5
- Cellular data use6
- Background app refresh
- Volume limit
You can restrict features within Game Center:
- Multiplayer games
- Adding friends
You can also turn on or enforce Restrictions using a profile (typically installed when using the device for business or education purposes). Check for installed profiles in Settings > General > Profiles. For additional information, contact the administrator or the person who installed the profile. To learn more about iOS software, see the user manual.
If your iOS device is missing a particular app or a certain feature isn't available, make sure that Restrictions are off. Symptoms can include:
- App missing from the Home screen (such as Safari, Camera, or FaceTime)
- Feature or service unavailable (such as Siri or Location Services)
- Setting missing or dimmed (such as Mail, Contacts, and Calendar; iCloud; Twitter; FaceTime)
- You can restrict access to YouTube in iOS 5 and earlier.
- Learn more about iBooks and iBooks Store Restrictions.
- CarPlay is available only on iPhone 5 or later.
- You can prevent changes to Mail, Contacts, Calendars, iCloud, Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo, Flickr, iTunes, App Store, iMessage, and FaceTime.
- This is available only when you install the Find My Friends app.
- This is available only on cellular-enabled iOS devices.