Turn on Restrictions
- Tap Settings > General.
- Tap Restrictions.
- Tap Enable Restrictions and enter a passcode. You'll need this passcode to change your settings or turn off Restrictions.
If you lose or forget your Restrictions passcode, you'll need to restore your device to remove it.
See what you can restrict
When an option is on, or you see a checkmark next to an item, that means you're allowing access to that item. Turn options off to restrict access.
Apps and features1
- Camera (also disables FaceTime)
- iTunes Store
- iBooks Store2
- In-App Purchases
- Installing apps
- Deleting apps
Types of content
- Ratings (select the country in the ratings section to automatically apply the appropriate content ratings for that region)
- Music and podcasts
- TV shows
Changes to privacy settings
- Location Services
- Bluetooth sharing
Changes to settings and accounts
- Find My Friends5
- Cellular data use6
- Background app refresh
- Volume limit
Features within Game Center
- Multiplayer games
- Adding friends
You can also turn on or enforce Restrictions using a profile (typically installed when using the device for business or education purposes). Check for installed profiles in Settings > General > Profiles. Contact your administrator or the person who installed the profile for more information.
When you have Restrictions on, you might notice that you're missing a particular app or feature:
- You don't see an app on the Home screen (like Safari, Camera, or FaceTime).
- You can't use a certain feature or service (like Siri or Location Services).
- You see that a setting is missing or dimmed (like Mail, Contacts, and Calendar; iCloud; Twitter; FaceTime).
If you're missing an app or feature, try turning Restrictions off.
- You can restrict access to YouTube in iOS 5 and earlier.
- Learn more about iBooks and iBooks Store Restrictions.
- CarPlay is available only on iPhone 5 or later.
- You can prevent changes to Mail, Contacts, Calendars, iCloud, Twitter, Facebook, Vimeo, Flickr, iTunes, App Store, iMessage, and FaceTime.
- This is available only when you install the Find My Friends app.
- This is available only on cellular-enabled iOS devices.