About iMessage and SMS/MMS
You can use iMessage or SMS/MMS on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
iMessages are texts, photos, or videos that you send to iOS devices and Macs over Wi-Fi or cellular-data networks. These messages appear in blue text bubbles. To turn iMessage on or off, go to Settings > Messages.
If you aren’t using iMessage, you can use SMS. SMS/MMS messages are texts and photos that you send to other cell phones or iOS devices. These messages appear in green text bubbles on your device.
If Wi-Fi is unavailable, iMessages will be sent over cellular data. Carrier cellular data fees might apply.
Send a message
- Open Messages and tap .
- Enter a phone number or email address, or tap and choose a contact.
- Type your message, then tap Send.
Forward a message
Open Messages and follow these steps:
Touch and hold the message bubble you’d like to forward. Then tap More.
Tap and enter a contact.
Delete a message or conversation
To delete a message, follow these steps:
- In Messages, touch and hold the message bubble you want to delete, then tap More.
- Tap . If you want to delete all messages in the thread, tap Delete All.
To delete a conversation, open Messages and swipe left on the conversation. Then tap Delete. You can also open Messages and tap Edit. Then tap next to the conversation and tap delete.
When you delete a message or conversation, you can't get it back.
You can keep messages forever, for one year, or for 30 days. Pick a setting under Settings > Messages > Keep Messages. When messages are deleted after a set date, their attachments are also deleted.
To stop receiving message notifications, you can mute conversations. In Messages, go to the conversation you want to mute notifications for. Then tap Details and turn on Do Not Disturb. When Do Not Disturb is on,will appear next to the conversation. This stops notifications only for that message conversation, not your device. You’ll still receive all other messages and see notifications for them on your Lock screen.
You can also mute all your conversations by turning on Do Not Disturb in Settings. Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb and tap Manual or Scheduled. This will stop all notifications on your device.
Find attachments from a conversation
Open the conversation and tap Details in the upper-right corner. You'll see the attachments at the bottom of the screen, with the newest attachments at the top.
You can tap the attachment to open it. Or you can touch and hold it to show options like Copy, Delete, and More.
Send and share your location
To send or share your location with friends and family in a messages conversation, follow these steps:
- Open the conversation and tap Details in the upper-right corner.
- Tap Send my Current Location. The recipient will see your location and can tap the map to get directions.
- Or tap Share my Location. Then choose the length of time you want to share your location for. You can share for one hour, one day, or indefinitely. Messages will set up temporary or permanent location sharing with Find my Friends depending on what you choose. This allows the recipient to view your location.
- Set up iMessage to get messages on any of your devices.
- Learn what to do if you can't send or get messages on your iOS device.
- Send a group message.