To quit (close) a Mac app normally, choose Quit from the app's menu in the menu bar, or press Command (⌘)-Q. If the app doesn't quit, follow these steps to force the app to quit.
How to force a Mac app to quit
- Choose Force Quit from the Apple () menu, or press Command-Option-Esc.
This is similar to pressing Control-Alt-Delete on a PC.
- Select the app in the Force Quit window, then click Force Quit.
- You can also force the Finder to quit, if it stops responding. Select Finder in the Force Quit window, then click Relaunch.
- If none of your apps are responding, you can force your Mac to restart.
- You can also force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.