How to pay using Apple Pay in stores and other places
With your iPhone or Apple Watch, you can use Apple Pay in stores, restaurants, gas stations, taxis, or wherever else you see one of these symbols1.
Pay with your iPhone
- To use your default card:
- If your iPhone has Face ID, double-click the side button. If prompted, authenticate with Face ID or enter your passcode to open Apple Wallet.
- If your iPhone has Touch ID, double-click the Home button.
- To use a different card, tap your default card to see your other cards. Tap a new card and authenticate.
- Hold the top of your iPhone near the contactless reader until Done and a checkmark appear on the display.
Pay with your Apple Watch
- Double-click the side button.
- Your default card opens automatically. Scroll down to choose another card.
- Hold the display of your Apple Watch near the contactless reader until you feel a gentle tap and hear a beep.
Want to see your recent purchases? Learn how to check your Apple Pay transaction history.
How to pay using Apple Pay online or within apps
You can use Apple Pay to pay online in Safari2,3 or within apps when you see Apple Pay as a payment option.
- Tap the Apple Pay button or choose Apple Pay as your payment method.
- To pay with a different card, tap the Next button or the Expand Menu button next to your default card.
- If necessary, enter your billing, shipping, and contact information. Apple Pay stores that information, so you won't need to enter it again.
- Confirm the payment.
- iPhone or iPad with Face ID: Double-click the side button, then use Face ID or your passcode.
- iPhone or iPad without Face ID: Use Touch ID or your passcode.
- Apple Watch: Double-click the side button.
- Mac with Touch ID: Follow the prompts on the Touch Bar and place your finger on Touch ID. If Touch ID is off, tap the Apple Pay icon on the Touch Bar and follow the prompts on the screen.
- Mac without Touch ID: Confirm the payment on your Bluetooth-connected iPhone or Apple Watch. Make sure that you're signed in with the same Apple ID on all devices.
- Apple Vision Pro: Double-click the top button, then use Optic ID or your passcode.
- When your payment is successful, you'll see Done and a checkmark on the screen.
- In addition to accepting Apple Pay, the merchant must accept your payment card and payment network.
- In China mainland, you can use Apple Pay on the web in Safari only on a compatible iPhone and iPad with the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
- In Italy, you can use your iPhone and Apple Watch to make Apple Pay purchases in stores with your Maestro card. Maestro cards can't be used within apps and on the web. In the Netherlands, you can add Maestro cards to all compatible devices except Mac.