Sometimes an incompatible or damaged Audio Units plug-in manufactured by a company other than Apple can cause issues in Logic Pro X or MainStage. If you can open Logic Pro or MainStage, you can try disabling plug-ins to troubleshoot your issue. If you can't open Logic Pro or MainStage, you can try removing plug-ins.
Disable Audio Units plug-ins
If you're having an issue in a particular Logic Pro project or MainStage concert, note the third-party plug-ins you're using in the affected project. Then, try disabling the plug-ins one-by-one using the Plug-In Manager, testing the project after disabling each plug-in.
- Open Logic Pro or MainStage. In MainStage, you must open a concert to access the Plug-In Manager. In Logic Pro, make sure to turn on Show Advanced Tools.
- Choose Logic Pro X > Preferences > Plug-In Manager, or MainStage 3 > Plug-In Manager.
- In the plug-in Manager, locate the plug-in you want to disable, then deselect the checkbox in the Use column. You can filter by manufacturer by clicking the manufacturer's name in the left column.
- For the changes to take effect, quit and reopen Logic Pro or MainStage.
- Test the project or concert. If the issue no longer occurs, you can try reinstalling the disabled plug-in, or checking with the manufacturer for an update.
Remove Audio Units plug-ins
If you can’t open Logic Pro or MainStage, try manually removing plug-ins. Most plug-ins install to this folder:
Other plug-ins install to this folder:
- ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components. To access this folder, in the Finder press Option, choose Go > Library, then navigate to the Components folder.
If you suspect a particular plug-in, locate the file for the plug-in, move it to a new location on your computer such as your Desktop, then try opening the application.
If you still can't open Logic Pro or MainStage, remove all the plug-in files that appear in the folders indicated above, then try opening Logic Pro or MainStage. If you can open the application, replace the plug-in files to their original locations one-by-one, quitting and reopening the application until the issue recurs.