Magic Mouse 2, Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad 2—and earlier models of Apple wireless devices—use Bluetooth to communicate with your Mac.
If you purchased your wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad with an iMac, the devices are already paired with the computer. Just turn them on when you first turn on your Mac.
If your Apple wireless device wasn’t purchased with an iMac, see How to identify your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad to find out which model you have, and whether it's compatible with your Mac.
Magic Mouse 2, Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad 2
Follow these steps to set up your Magic Mouse 2, Magic Keyboard, or Magic Trackpad 2:
- Connect the Lightning to USB cable to the Lightning port on the device, and connect the other end of the cable to your Mac.
- Make sure the device's power switch is in the ON position. (Green will be visible.)
- The device appears in Bluetooth Preferences and automatically pairs with your Mac.
- The Bluetooth Preferences window shows the connection status and charge level of your device. When the device is charged, unplug it for wireless use.
Note: Magic Mouse 2 can't be used while connected to the cable.
Earlier Apple wireless devices
Use a wired mouse or trackpad, or the built-in trackpad if you're using a Mac notebook, and follow these steps to set up your earlier Apple wireless devices (like the Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad):
- Make sure your device is powered on.
- If the LED is blinking, your device is in Discoverable Mode. If the LED is steady, your device is paired with another item. Unpair the device, turn it off, and start again.
- In the menu bar of your Mac, choose the Bluetooth icon, then choose Open Bluetooth Preferences.
- Your Mac scans for available Bluetooth devices.
- When your device appears in the Bluetooth Preference Pane, click Pair.
Note: Apple Wireless Keyboard requires the passcode that appears on your Mac. Enter the 8-digit passcode on the keyboard, then press Return. Earlier models of Apple Wireless Mouse or Apple Magic Trackpad will connect, or show a dialog. If you see a dialog, click Pair or press return.