Share your purchases
When you join a family, you'll be asked to confirm the Apple ID that you use for making iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and App Store purchases. After you choose and confirm your Apple ID, you can share purchases from that account with your family members.
With Family Sharing, you can subscribe to an Apple Music Family membership, and up to six people in your family can enjoy unlimited access to Apple Music on their devices.
Family Sharing only works on devices with iOS 8 or later or OS X Yosemite or later.
iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Go to Settings > iCloud > Family, then tap your name.
- Under Family Purchases, review your account information.
- If you need to confirm the Apple ID that you want to share content from, enter your password. If you prefer to share purchases from a different account, you can enter a different Apple ID and password.
- Make sure that Share my purchases is on.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
- Click Manage Family.
- Click your name and review your account information next to Family Purchases.
- Make sure that Share my purchases is selected.
Download content from family members
After you join a family, you can see and download items from each family member's purchase history, and enjoy them on your own devices. You can download music, movies, TV shows, and books on up to 10 of your devices, five of which can be computers. You can download apps to any devices that you own or control.
Use these steps to see and download your family member's content.
iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- If you're not signed in, sign in with your Apple ID.
- Open the store app that you want to download content from, and go to the Purchased page:
- iTunes Store: Tap More > Purchased.
- iBooks: Tap Purchased.
- App Store: Tap Updates > Purchased.
- Tap the family member's name to see their content. Learn what to do if you don’t see any content or can't tap your family member.
- To download an item, tap the download icon next to it.
- If you’re not signed in, sign in with your Apple ID.
- Open the iTunes, iBooks, or the Mac App Store and go to the Purchased page.
- iTunes: Click Store, then Purchased under Quick Links on the right side of the iTunes window.
- iBooks: Click iBooks Store, then Purchased under Quick Links on the right side of the iBooks window.
- Mac App Store: Click Purchased.
- To the right of Purchased, select a family member's name to view their content.
- Download or play the items that you want.
- On your Apple TV, select Movies, TV Shows, or App Store.
- Select Purchased > Family Sharing, then select your family member to see their content. You can access shared movies, TV shows, and apps on Apple TV, but not music.
Family Sharing requires a personal Apple ID signed in to iCloud and iTunes. iOS 8 or later and OS X Yosemite or later are required to set up or join a Family Sharing group and are recommended for full functionality. Not all content is eligible for Family Sharing. Content can be hidden by family members; hidden content is not available for download. Content downloaded from family members or acquired via redemption codes is not subject to Ask to Buy.
*Not all content and content types are available in all countries or regions. To share purchased content, all family members must use the same iTunes Store country or region. Music, movies, TV shows, and books can be downloaded on up to 10 devices per account, five of which can be computers. Apps can be downloaded to any devices the family member owns or controls.