MainStage 3.1.1 includes the following changes. For more information, see www.apple.com/logicpro/mainstage.
- Allows you to disable Screen Saver when in Perform Mode
- Fixes an issue where expression pedals could not control the input level of audio channel strips
- Resolves an issue where the Download Manager could appear empty
- When more than 10 Drum Machine Designer patches are loaded, all channels show their associated sub-channels
- MainStage no longer shows an error that the Concert file is corrupted when loading certain concerts created in previous versions
- Next/Previous screen control buttons for changing patches and sets not assigned to a MIDI channel reliably respond to mouse clicks again
- MIDI output now works when a channel strip setting file that includes an External Instrument plug-in is loaded
- MainStage no longer outputs an audio pop when switching between certain patches
- Pan works properly again with mono audio channels
- The Instantly Silence Previous Patch setting works when moving from a patch using External MIDI to one using a Software Instrument
- There is now a link to the AutoSampler documentation in MainStage Help
MainStage 3.1 includes the following changes.
New Features and Enhancements
- Redesigned Compressor plug-in with scalable, Retina-ready interface and a new compressor model.
- Retro Synth can now create wavetables from imported audio and is able to stack up to 8 voices.
- The Plug-in Manager now allows you to customize the organization of your menu.
- Expanded sound library includes over 200 new synth patches and 10 Mellotron instruments.
- New Auto Sampler plug-in converts hardware synthesizers into sampled instruments.
- Custom shortcuts can be assigned and managed using the new Key Command editor.
- It is now possible to copy and paste ranges in the layer editor.
- MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly when selecting all patches.
- MainStage no longer drops out of Full Screen Performance mode when you use a KVM switch to change the display to another computer.
- When moving the MainStage window from a 4K display to another display, the window width now properly adjusts to the new display size.
- Mouse clicks in a plug-in window are no longer passed through to the Patch Browser in Performance mode.
- Window positions are now properly recalled when opening a saved concert.
- Parameter text fields are now displayed correctly when the first patch or set is skipped.
- Text in the Graph Editor now renders properly when the window is resized.
New Features and Enhancements
- Adds auto-assignment profiles for the following MIDI devices:
- Roland A-49 keyboard
- Korg Taktile 25 keyboard
- Korg Taktile 49 keyboard
- Samson Graphite MD13 controller
- Novation Launch Control controller
- The Quick Start Templates are now accessible with VoiceOver
- It is now possible to adjust sliders in the Mixer when controlling MainStage via screen sharing, Apple Remote Desktop, or other VNC clients.
- MainStage no longer sometimes quits unexpectedly when:
- Deleting patches from a concert
- Closing certain concerts
- Commas are now usable as decimal separators when typing values into controls on the Mixer.
- Sculpture and ES2 no longer sometimes shift pitch the tails of held notes when releasing other notes and using non-Equal Tempered tunings.
- Closing a concert now also closes the Musical Typing window.
- Channel Strip insert slot 15 now displays the correct bypass state when toggled via a mapped Smart Control.
- Using different audio interfaces for input and output now works more reliably.
- The Quick Start Templates are now accessible with VoiceOver.
- Screen Controls mapped to Loopback’s Record Button now reliably display the correct parameter state.
- The distortion knob is no longer automatically assigned to respond to channel pressure with some controllers in templates that include organ drawbars.
- Loopback recordings in which the recording is stopped by pressing the spacebar are now reliably retained when played back.
- MainStage more accurately timestamps incoming MIDI messages, making stuck notes less likely.
- Playback now reliably loads saved plug-in settings files.
- Improves stability and reliability, including to resolve these issues:
- MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly when opening a concert that was created in MainStage 2.x and is missing some content.
- Resolves an issue in which a concert that was compressed with certain utilities might not load if the concert contained a patch with a forward slash “/” in the name.
- MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly when loading a concert that contains a multitimbral transform graph.
- Resolves an issue in which MainStage might quit unexpectedly after downloading content.
- Resolves an issue that could cause CPU performance spikes and audio dropouts.
- Fixes an audio-input issue that caused the Record Enable button to be unavailable with some audio interfaces, including the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, M-Audio Plus, Blue Yeti USB mic, Alesis i02 Express, Avid Mbox, and Griffin iMic.
- Mappings to AppleScript again work properly.
- Screen Control graphics again properly update when receiving CC64 messages on MIDI channels other than channel 1.
- It's now possible to map screen controls to the Dr. Octave pedal.
New features and enhancements
- Compatible with Logic Remote v1.0.3.
- Includes 11 new Drum Kit Designer patches.
- Significant enhancements to Channel EQ and Linear Phase EQ plug-ins, including:
- Redesigned, easier-to-use interface that's also accessible within the Smart Controls area.
- Oversampling option improves high-frequency clarity.
- Double Precision processing provides more accurate filtering, especially for low frequencies.
- An option to apply EQ only to stereo left, right, middle, or side signals.
- There is now a Hide Workspace option in the View menu when working in Edit mode.
- Playback is now compatible with MP3 and AAC files.
- Screen controls mapped to the clock now show a dial that updates with each beat.
- There is now an option to convert an aliased channel strip to a unique copy.
- There is now a mapping for Chord Display.
Stability and performance
- Includes several fixes to improve stability, reliability, and performance.
- Bypassing a multi-output Audio Units instrument plug-in no longer causes MainStage to quit unexpectedly.
- MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly when the Current Program Number action is assigned to a screen control before other actions.
- When downloading missing Drummer content, the download progress bars are no longer hidden behind the main window.
- Concerts now open significantly faster than in any previous version of MainStage.
- Saving concerts now takes about the same amount of time as in MainStage 2.
- Fixes an issue in which renaming a concert from MainStage’s File menu causes playback of Ultrabeat, Playback, and Loopback to stop working until the concert is reloaded.
- Improves compatibility when opening concerts created in MainStage 2.
Audio/plug-in fixes and improvements
- Monophonic is now available as a Flex mode in the Playback plug-in.
- Starting Playback or Loopback no longer cuts off the tails of plug-ins that are already sounding.
- Playback no longer causes an unexpected jump after using the next/previous marker commands when the marker region is shorter than the snap-to value.
- Starting Loopback with “Set concert tempo” now always starts the transport as expected.
- Arpeggiator now reliably continues playing after a patch change if Latch mode is controlled with a sustain pedal.
- The compressor gain-reduction meter on the channel strip now reliably displays correct values.
- Playback no longer goes out of phase while playing audio loops.
- The Vintage Electric Piano instrument plug-in now responds reliably when repeating a note that is already playing.
- Resolves an issue in which playback of a loop might stop after clearing previously recorded loops from Loopback.
- Loopback now reliably continues playing after clearing a previous loop.
User-interface fixes and improvements
- The numbers on the ruler for the Waveform object have been enlarged to improve readability.
- Includes accessibility improvements.
- When VoiceOver is used to select an object in the Workspace while in Layout mode, the corresponding Screen Control Inspector is now also selected.
- In Edit mode, VoiceOver can now be used to work with Smart Controls in the Workspace.
- VoiceOver now correctly mentions the names of Inspector pane headers.
- Clicking the Scale Parameter button in the Scale Parameter Graph now closes the graph window.
- Adds Quick Help for several additional items.
- Command-Control-F can now be used to enter full-screen mode in MainStage.
- Pressing the F key while in full-screen mode now reliably activates patch-find mode.
General fixes and improvements
- Setting a tempo in a patch no longer overrides the saved concert tempo in other patches.
- Loading a patch onto a parent channel strip now reliably removes the mappings from associated alias patches.
- Loopback files are now saved with a concert.
- Duplicating a set that contains one or more channel strips that are used as aliases within patches inside the same set will reliably reference the duplicated set’s copies of the alias, not the original set’s channel strip.
- It is now possible to reliably copy and paste a 1 x 8 Grouped Drum Pad screen control object.
- MainStage now shows a warning when deleting a patch that contains a parent channel strip for an alias in another patch.
- Deleting a channel strip now reliably changes focus on the next channel strip in the mixer.
- The mapping for the Output Volume knob in the Lead Vox & 1 Backing Track template now works as expected.
- Deleting a pedal from Pedalboard now reliably removes associated Smart Controls mappings.
- There is now an option in the Concert Inspector to “Send unused program Changes to Channel Strips”.
- Incoming MIDI clock is now reliably routed to external MIDI channel strips.
- Saving a channel strip of a different type now reliably opens the correct default location.
- Mapping actions via the Action menu now works reliably.
- It is now possible to switch to Layout mode even if the cursor is editing text in a text object.
- Assigning the output of an external instrument to stereo now works as expected.
- The Drum Concerts template now plays at the assigned tempo.
- Changing patches while using the sustain pedal reliably releases previously played notes.
- It is now possible to edit parameters on screen controls that are mapped to parameters representing the current state of a control.
- The icon assigned to an external channel strip is now reliably saved and recalled with a patch.
- Switching to a patch that contains a screen control mapped to an external instrument channel strip now reliably transmits its saved value.
- Changing patches reliably sends expression values for an external instrument channel strip on the the selected channel.
- Audio meters work as expected after the view mode is changed.
- The Master Tuning control is now smoother and more responsive.
- Sustain pedal objects now work reliably with user-defined CC messages.
- The “Reset to Saved” preference works reliably with screen controls mapped to hardware rotary encoders.
- The Reset/Compare action works reliably with Smart Controls.
- MainStage reliably shows input meter activity for even-numbered inputs.
- The Metronome Output preference no longer changes unexpectedly when loading a concert.
- Changing the Color attribute for an Output or Master channel strip now works as expected.
- A channel strip with a scaling curve applied no longer outputs audio when the fader is at its minimum position (-∞).
- Smart Controls objects are now highlighted when selected.
- Improved behavior when browsing legacy Jam Pack content.
- Smart Controls mapped to bypassed plug-ins no longer appear to be disabled in Performance mode.
- Incoming MIDI is no longer converted to channel 1 if there is a pitch bend object in the patch.
Stability and performance
- Resolves graphics issues when switching to full screen or Performance Mode with ATI graphics hardware.
- Includes various fixes for improved stability and reliability.
- Resolves an issue in which plugging an Apogee GIO into the computer while another MIDI controller was plugged in caused MainStage to quit unexpectedly.
- Resolves an issue in which, under certain circumstances, playing notes in the Arpeggiator could cause CPU spikes.
- There are several improvements to reduce the amount of MIDI jitter, resulting in better responsiveness.
- Includes several changes that improve the reliability of content downloads.
- After a channel strip output has been set from an Aux to No Output, Undo now properly restores the output routing to the Aux.
- Resolves an issue in which a patch that contained an alias channel strip would not play all effects in some cases.
- The Quickstart Keyboard template concert now loads the correct EXS24 presets when opened while the Vocal and Backing Tracks template concert is already open.
- Resolves an issue in which performing Undo after deleting a Patch from the Patch List incorrectly muted the Patch’s channel in the Mixer.
- When a new Patch is created, the MainStage interface now properly maintains focus on the Patch.
- Fixes an issue in which audio sent to Auxes might be cut off when switching Patches while holding notes.
- Fixes an issue in which the Patch Browser sometimes did not display the full path when scrolling with the cursor.
- Double-clicking on a skipped Set now un-skips it.
- Double-clicking on a collapsed set in the list now reveals it.
- Resolves an issue in which attempting to change the order of MIDI plug-ins on a channel strip prevented subsequent changes to the order of both audio and MIDI plug-ins until the concert was reloaded.
- A meter mapped to channel level in Smart Controls now shows level as expected.
- Scrolling within text boxes now correctly follows the system Natural Scrolling setting.
- Fixes an issue in which opening a saved concert from All Concerts or My Concerts in the New Projects dialog opened the concert as “Untitled”.
- Resolves an issue in which, when importing a Patch that included an Output channel strip, MainStage displayed a dialog indicating there were not enough available channels.
- It is now possible to send MIDI events on multiple channels from an external instrument channel strip.
- Resolves an issue in which CPU spikes might occur when bypassing or enabling plug-ins while playing.
- Fixes an issue in which starting playback of the Ultrabeat sequencer could cause CPU spikes.
- Resolves an issue in which there might be a slight hesitation when Playback was triggered.
- The metronome is now audible as soon as it is activated from Loopback.
- Undo after recording in Loopback now works as expected.
- Fixes an issue in which there might be intermittent dropouts in concerts containing several songs that use multiple instances of Playback.
- Resolves an issue in which plug-in side chain settings were not saved with Patches.
- Includes several improvements to make renaming Playback markers easier.
- Resolves an issue in which a Loopback instance inserted at the Concert level would stop playing when switching between Patches.
- Resolves an issue in which the changing the MIDI channel of the Modulator out in the Scripter plug-in had no effect.
- The plug-in sidechain menu now correctly list the inputs available for the current patch.
- Resolves an issue in which bypassing an instrument while playing notes into it caused stuck notes.