If your Apple TV isn’t working as expected, find the status light on the front of your Apple TV in the lower-right corner. Then use the steps that follow the description of your status light.
If the status light is off
If the status light is off on your Apple TV, follow these steps. After each step, see if the status light turns on.
- Press Menu or Apple TV app/Home on your charged Siri Remote to wake your Apple TV.
- Unplug the power cord from your Apple TV, wait 30 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
- Try using a different power outlet. If the Apple TV is plugged into a power strip, make sure that the power strip is turned on.
If the status light still doesn't turn on, contact Apple Support.
If the status light is on but you don't see video
If the status light is on but you don't see video, follow these steps. After each step, see if video appears on your television screen.
- Unplug both ends of the HDMI cable, then firmly plug them back in.
- Turn off your television and unplug the Apple TV from power. Then plug the Apple TV back in and turn on your television.
- In the television menu, make sure that you select the HDMI input that matches the HDMI port connected to the Apple TV.
If you still don't see video, contact Apple Support.
If the status light is flashing
If you don't see video and the status light flashes for more than three minutes, restore your Apple TV.
If you see the Apple logo and then a black screen
If you see the Apple logo and then a black screen, hold Menu and Volume Down for 5 seconds, then release. Your Apple TV will switch to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.
Still need help?
- Try a different HDMI port on your television, starting with HDMI 1 or Input 1.
- Use a different HDMI cable to see if the cable causes the issue.
- If you're using a receiver or an HDMI switch, one of these might be the issue. Connect your Apple TV directly to the television instead of using the receiver or HDMI switch. If you now see the Apple TV Home screen, connect your receiver or HDMI switch one at a time. After each additional device is connected, check that you still see the Home screen on your television.
If you still can’t see a picture on your television, hear sound, or only see the Apple logo, contact Apple Support.