Important: Read this before installing.
- The installation process should not be interrupted, even if the progress bar remains unchanged for several minutes. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Support Downloads to update.
- You must have an administrator account password that does not contain spaces or Option-keyed characters to install this update. The password may not be left blank. If you need to change your password, see this article.
- You may get unexpected results if you've installed third-party system software modifications, or if you have modified the operating system through other means. (This doesn't apply to normal software installation.)
- This update can be installed on non-startup volumes, but you should only do this if the current startup volume has already been updated to Mac OS X Server version 10.5.4. The simplest way to avoid issues from an improper installation is to start up from the volume that you wish to update.
- You must use version 10.5.3 or later of the Mac OS X Server Admin Tools to administer a server running 10.5.4. The 10.5.4 version of the Admin Tools is included in the Mac OS X Server 10.5.4 Update. The tools are also available from Apple Support Downloads for installation on Mac OS X 10.5.4 (client).
There are three ways to update to Mac OS X Server 10.5.4:
- Use Software Update
- Install from a standalone installer
- Install on a remote server via Server Admin or the softwareupdate command-line utility
Software Update installation
Software Update may have referred you to this document. For more information on this feature, see this article. Because some updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to use Software Update more than once to obtain all available updates.
Download and manually install the update. The installer is available from Apple Support Downloads. This a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the necessary update once.
Note: there are two separate standalone installers. The Mac OS X Server 10.5.4 Update is for installation on Mac OS X Server 10.5.3 only. The Mac OS X Server Combo Update can be installed on Mac OS X Server 10.5, 10.5.1 or 10.5.2.
If you need to install the update on a remote server, you can do so using the Server Admin application or the softwareupdate command-line tool. For important information on remote software update installation, see this article.
- Improves reliability of Directory Services
- Mobile home directories now work on Mac OS X clients bound to Novell eDirectory
- Includes the Web Objects 5.4.2 Update. For more information about the content of this update, see About the WebObjects 5.4.2 Update
- Improves Mac OS X Server Security. For more information on the security content of Mac OS X Server 10.5.4, see this article
- Mac OS X Server 10.5.4 also includes all the improvements delivered in the Mac OS X 10.5.4 update. For more information about the client update, see this article