You can use the Apple TV app on an iPhone or iPod touch with the latest version of iOS, iPad with the latest version of iPadOS, Mac with the latest version of macOS, Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD with the latest version of tvOS, Apple TV (3rd generation) with Apple TV Software Update 7.3 or later, eligible smart TVs, and on some streaming devices.
The Apple TV app and features of the Apple TV app aren't available in all countries and regions. See what's available in your country or region.
Explore the Apple TV app
To navigate the Apple TV app, use the tabs at the top or bottom of your screen.
Watch Now shows your favorite TV shows and movies that you watch. It features Up Next, which lets you pick up where you left off. You can also subscribe to Apple TV+ to watch all-new Apple Originals. And subscribe to just the premium channels that you want. Browse movies and TV shows that you can buy. Rent movies. And find movie and TV show suggestions, and dedicated selections based on everything you like to watch.
Find all of your purchases, along with your current rentals, in the Library tab. On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac, the Library tab also shows Movies, TV shows, and content from Apple TV channels that are downloaded on your device.
Use the Search tab to browse trending content and find movies and TV shows by title, actor, and more.
Control what's playing
Use in the in-app controls to play, pause, turn on subtitles, AirPlay, and control what's playing. To find the playback controls:
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap the screen.
- On your Mac or PC, move your mouse or tap your trackpad.
- On your Apple TV, smart TV, or streaming device, use the remote.
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > TV.
- On your Mac, open the Apple TV app, then choose TV > Preferences.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Apps > TV.
- On your smart TV or streaming device, open the Apple TV app and go to Settings.
From here, you can adjust the settings of your Apple TV.
Use Play History
You can turn off Use Play History if you don't want to see recommendations based on what you watch. Clear Play History to remove your watch history from all of your devices. And you can find additional settings depending on your device.
Control Apple TV app videos autoplaying on the Home screen
To stop Apple TV app videos from autoplaying on the Home screen of Apple TV, open Settings, select Apps, then select TV. Then select Top Shelf and choose either What to Watch or Up Next. What to Watch shows full-screen previews of TV shows and movies when the TV app is selected. Up Next shows the TV shows and movies in your personal queue at the top of the screen.
Use Cellular Data for Playback
If you have an iPhone or iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular model, go to Settings, select TV, and then select iTunes Videos. Turn on Cellular Data for Playback to stream movies and TV shows when your device is connected to a cellular network and using cellular data. Or turn off Cellular Data to only stream content when your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Do more with the Apple TV app
- Subscribe to Apple TV+ to stream all-new Apple Originals, ad-free and on demand.
- Set up the Apple TV app on your smart TV or streaming device.
- If you use your cable provider with your Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can access on-demand programming from your cable provider in Watch Now.
- Turn on subtitles or change the audio language for videos.
- Manage your Apple TV+ and Apple TV channel subscriptions.
You may use the Apple TV app only for personal, noncommercial purposes. Read the full terms and conditions.