What you need
Set up your secure router
- Find your router's iOS or iPadOS app in the App Store and use it to set up your router. Wait for the app to ask you to add the router to the Home app, then tap Accept. If the app doesn't prompt you to add your router to the Home app, use your router manufacturer's instructions.
- Continue setup in the Home app by following the onscreen instructions. When you're done, you'll see a notification that says the setup was successful.
- After setup, add your HomeKit accessories to the Home app. If you already have HomeKit accessories added to the Home app, they will continue to work and benefit from most HomeKit network protection features. For even more security, remove and reset your Wi-Fi accessories then add them back to the Home app. This creates a unique passkey known only to the router and each accessory.
Customize your security
You can control the amount of protection that your router gives your HomeKit accessories. To change security settings in the Home app:
- Tap the More button , then select Home Settings.
- If you have multiple homes, choose the home where you put your router.
- Scroll down and tap Wi-Fi Network & Routers. Then tap an accessory to change the level of connection security.
- Restrict to Home: Most secure. Your accessory can interact only with HomeKit through your Apple devices. The accessory won't connect to the internet or any local devices so any third-party services, like firmware updates, might be blocked.
- Automatic: Default security. Your accessory can communicate with HomeKit and connections recommended by its manufacturer.
- No Restriction: Least secure. This setting bypasses the secure router and allows your accessory to interact with any device in your network or internet-based service.