Browse free audio episodes and shows about topics that range from comedy and science to news and politics in the Podcasts app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV.
Explore the Podcasts app
Navigate the Podcasts app using the tabs at the bottom of the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
On your Apple TV, swipe down on your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote to see the navigation menu.
In this tab, you’ll see new and unplayed episodes from your subscribed shows and recently added episodes. Tap a show to listen. After the latest episode finishes, any unplayed episodes of that show in your Library automatically play next.
You'll also see shows you might like and shows that you recently played.
See all the shows and episodes you’ve added to your Library—even if you’re not currently subscribed. Tap Downloaded Episodes to see only the podcasts that you downloaded and to listen without using cellular data or Wi-Fi.1
You can create a custom station or add a podcast that you subscribed to through a website. Tap Edit in the upper-right corner, then tap New Station or Add a Podcast by URL.
1. You can't download items on Apple TV, but you can use Wi-Fi to stream your content.
See what’s new and topping the charts in this tab. Tap on any episode to start listening or tap to add it to your Library so that you can listen to it later.
Use this tab to search for specific episodes, shows, providers, or topics. Tap the search field, then tap All Podcasts or Your Library to search either the entire Apple Podcasts catalog or just your Library.
Subscribe to shows
When you find a show that you like, tap it to go to the show's info page, then tap . After you subscribe, new episodes automatically download2 for free as they become available.
You’ll get a notification when a new episode becomes available. To control which shows you get notifications for, tap in the Listen Now tab.
To unsubscribe from a show, tap it to go to the show's info page, tap , then tap Unsubscribe. No new episodes will download to your device, but episodes that are already in your Library won’t be deleted.
Apple Podcasts might pause your subscription if you stop listening to a show. The shows and downloaded episodes stay in your library, but new episodes might not be updated. To continue getting new episodes, subscribe again.
2. To turn off automatic downloads on your iOS device, go to Settings > Podcasts > Download Episodes and choose Off.
Listen to shows
When you play episodes in the Podcasts app on your iOS device, a player appears at the bottom of the screen. Tap the player to open Now Playing3 and access all playback controls.
3. On iPad in portrait mode, Now Playing is in the lower-right corner. On Apple TV, open the Music app, then swipe down on your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote to see Now Playing in the top menu bar.
From Now Playing, you can control volume, play and pause episodes, skip through an episode with or , or change playback speed with . On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, you can also tapto change what device your audio plays to.
Swipe up on Now Playing to see episode notes and a list of episodes queued up to play next. Here you can also tap to stop playing a podcast after a certain amount of time. To close Now Playing, tap or swipe down from the top of the player.
More ways to listen to Apple Podcasts
Control is at your fingertips—or voice. Ask Siri "what can I do?" to learn more about Siri commands for podcasts and audio. You can also:
- Control audio that you're listening to from the Lock screen and Control Center on your iOS device.
- Control your Podcasts library or listen to Apple Podcasts on your Apple Watch.
- Connect your phone to your car with Bluetooth or USB. Some cars might come with CarPlay. Learn more about playing media in cars with CarPlay, Bluetooth, and USB.
- Listen to Apple Podcasts in iTunes on a Mac or PC by choosing Podcasts from the menu in the upper-left corner.
Download or delete episodes
If you want to listen to an episode while you're not connected to Wi-Fi or the Internet, you can download it. Find an episode in your Library or Browse, then tap to the right of the episode's name. You might need to tap to add the episode to your Library first. If you don't see , the episode is already downloaded to your device.4
Episodes automatically delete 24 hours after you play them.
To delete an episode, find the show in your Library, tap the show to bring up its information page, swipe left on the episode, then tap Delete.5
4. You can only stream episodes on your Apple TV.
5. To delete a specific episode in iTunes, right-click or Control-click on the episode, then choose Delete from Library.
Change your settings
On your iOS device, go to Settings > Podcasts. There, you can adjust these settings:
- Sync Podcasts: Keep your Podcasts Library the same across all of your devices. Pause an episode on one device, and pick up where you left off on another.
- Continuous Playback: Choose whether the next episode of a show or station will automatically play after another episode ends.
- Cellular Data: Turn on or off the Podcast app's ability to stream shows while your iPhone or iPad is using cellular data.
- Download Episodes: Control whether new or unplayed episodes get downloaded to your device.
On a podcast’s product page, you can also control settings specific to that show by tapping , and then tapping Settings.