Your iPhone may be locked to your network provider. Unlocking your iPhone means you can use it with different network providers. To contact your network provider and unlock your iPhone, follow these steps. You can find out if your iPhone is locked by going to Settings > General > About. If "No SIM restrictions" appears next to Network Provider Lock, your iPhone is unlocked.
If you don't want to switch network providers and your device is locked because you've forgotten the passcode, you don't need to follow the steps in this article. Find out how to reset your passcode.
Apple can't unlock your iPhone for use with a different network provider. Only your current network provider can unlock your iPhone.
Contact your network provider
- Only your network provider can unlock your iPhone. Contact them and request an unlock. After you've submitted the request, it may take a few days for the process to be completed. Contact your network provider to check the status of your request.
- After your network provider has confirmed they've unlocked your iPhone, follow the steps below.
If you need to activate an eSIM from a network provider other than your current network provider
If you have a SIM card from a network provider that's different to your current network provider
Follow these steps to finish unlocking your iPhone:
- Remove your SIM card.
- Insert the new SIM card. Your device will activate.
You may see this message on your computer or iPhone: "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported network provider may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported network provider's shop."
If you see this message on a device that's running iOS 14 and later, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > General and tap About.
- Under Network Provider Lock, you should see a message that says "No SIM restrictions". If you can't see that message, contact your network provider.
If your device is running iOS 13 or earlier, follow these steps: