- Make sure that your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
- To use the latest features of Notes, make sure that you set up Notes with iCloud or have your notes saved on your device. To set up Notes with iCloud, go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts > iCloud, then scroll down to turn on Notes. To set up Notes on your device only, go to Settings > Notes, then select "On My [device]" Account. Many features won't work with other email providers.
How to create a to-do list
- Open the Notes app.
- Tap to create a new note.
- Enter a title and tap Return.
- Tap the check button to start the list. Each time you tap Return, a new item is added to the list.
- Tap the empty circle to mark an item as complete.
To create a list in an existing note, place the cursor where you want to start. Then tap the check button and enter your list.
With iOS 13 and iPadOS, there are even more ways to organize your lists. Here's what you can do:
- Reorder items with drag and drop.
- Swipe to indent items.
- Move checked items to the bottom automatically.
- Check or uncheck all items to start over.
Learn more about fomatting your notes to do things like add titles, headings, and more.
Do more with Notes
Learn more about using Notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.