This article is intended for enterprise and education system administrators. If you're trying to manage an Apple TV that isn't owned by a business or school, learn about the restrictions that you can set.
In tvOS 10.2 or later, you can also use Apple School Manager or the Device Enrollment Program to supervise your Apple TV (4th generation) and enroll it in MDM. For instructions, see the iOS Deployment Reference.
Before you begin
Make sure that you have:
- The latest version of Apple Configurator, iTunes, and macOS High Sierra on your Mac.
- An Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) with the latest version of tvOS.
- A display connected to your Apple TV.
- Your Mac and Apple TV connected to the same Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
If you want to Prepare an Apple TV, including the option to add it to Device Enrollment, start with an Apple TV that hasn't been set up, or erase it first. Connect the Apple TV to Ethernet and stop at the "Pair Your Remote" setup screen.
If you want to add apps or profiles to an already set-up Apple TV, go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote App and Devices.
Connect to your Apple TV
- On your Mac, launch Apple Configurator.
- From the Apple Configurator 2 menu, choose Paired Devices.
- Select your Apple TV in the Paired Devices list, then click Pair.
- On your Mac, enter the 6 digit pin that appears on the screen of your Apple TV.
- Select your Apple TV in the device window of Apple Configurator.
- To Prepare a new or erased Apple TV in Apple Configurator, click Prepare and follow the onscreen instructions. If you choose to add it to Device Enrollment, don't choose the option to Activate and complete enrollment.
- To add apps or profiles to an already set-up Apple TV in Apple Configurator, click Add and choose an app or profile. You can also drag a profile from a Finder window and drop it onto the icon of your Apple TV.
- Learn more about pairing your iOS device or Mac with your Apple TV.
- Learn more about payloads and restrictions that you can set on tvOS.